New user initiation in the console forum

RobertR1

Pro
Legend
We have a fair bit of devs in the console forum. I'm afraid that number will dwindle if we keep allowing new users to sign up just to call them "lazy" or berate them without possessing even 1/100th the technical knowledge or ability. It's understandable when then older members who have been here and followed the tech talk for a while, get into a debate, atleast there is something to be learned. It's even better when developers are discussing issues amongst eachother. Lots to be learned from either of those. However, having "timmy" sign up just to say "lazy. disappointing. meh. game X looks much better" and so on really serves no purpose. This seems to rile up the long term userbase also and worse, they seem to lower their posting standards in conjunction. I find this to be the worst part.

The console forum without actively participating devs would just be another "my game is better than your game" forum. Is there an option to lock new users out of console forum until they have posted enough times in other areas and gotten used to the code of conduct around here? Any ideas or are things cool the way they are?

Maybe even some of the devs can chime in, if they see this thread.

I just stay the hell out of the console forum. It is a minefield, IMHO.

There is a period of time when you can't edit your posts AFAIR. I think this benefits no one, but the same functionality could be used to limit sections where new users can post.

The problem is: limit to what? Offtopic? That will teach them! Console? That's what they want. Technical? I hope not. But we it can be probably thought through. Another "obvious" solution is to moderate posts from some people but I don't have the cruelty needed to propose it since mods already have enough work on their hands.

Ok, I just did propose it.

Another thing is that IMO "Multiplatform Development Issues" should be closed and cleaned. It's been ages since any real discussion took place.

Heh, new users already require mod approval for the first post or two but, while you guys don't get to enjoy it, our awesome charlie's angels mod team (yeah, I'm looking at you Simon, you sexeh thang) is quite busy fighting a battle for the cleaniness of the boards. It's like there's a spam competition or something. We'll definitely keep a closer eye on that and other threads. In the meantime, do report when people start getting carried away and we'll do our best to stave them off. /cue DOOM E1M1 music

/rant
I got warning for report misuse in the past so grass is not that green here. :rolleyes: If it helps anyone - reporting multiple posts with one click ("here starts offtopic that's already Z posts long" on one post vs. "this is offtopic" on Z posts) seems to be safer.

Back