New ue4 demo "Infiltrator"

Does anyone think that developers would create a world this large purely just for a tech demo. It would be insane if this was part of a new IP they are developing.
The part near the end where he is outside fighting the giant drone reminds me a bit of killzone shadow fall.

Does anyone think that developers would create a world this large purely just for a tech demo. It would be insane if this was part of a new IP they are developing.
The part near the end where he is outside fighting the giant drone reminds me a bit of killzone shadow fall.

Yes they would. This is running on high end hardware as playback demo. No AI, no user interaction, etc. We've seen this kind of demo many times over the years, but you rarely see games with these high-end features because only very high end systems can run it, and as a game it would have to do a lot more besides.

It shows off what is possible with the engine, rather than what is possible or commercially viable as a game.

I just hope that they didn't remove the octree voxel cone tracing from the engine like everyone seems to interpret now - which was their keystone technique that they seemed to have spent lots of time (including 10min of their only video to demonstrate the engine itself) promoting this idea.
In the techniques list on the nvidia website, they seem to mention tile-based deferred rendering as the method used.

I guess the octree structure was too costly to maintain. However, release of a gk110 card should be able to eliminate this problem with their dynamic parallelism, which has been demonstrated to make octree construction super-efficient.

So are videogames just trying to be interactive Renderman clips with 'press x to continue' interrupts? I'm getting bored now.

looks more impressive than elemental, that voxel lighting wasn't very impressive in action.

Very nice demo. Simulating a dirty lens apparently adds tons of "immersion" for a lot of people. :cool:

Back