New Total War game!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by hoom, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Silenti

Regular

There is something wrong with it when it is impossible to fix. You have every advanced technology to make the squallor drop and it is never enough. (Most advanced late cities, but especially Egypt. ) You end up making armies of peasants and sending them off to who cares where to knock the population down or you just get so annoyed that you move the entire army out, sit them next to the cities in question, and then kill everyone on the next turn when they rebel. That generally bought you a good 15-20 turns before you had to go an do it again.

I'm finding a similar problem with ETW. Pleasing the populace is next to impossible. It get's especially bad when you research of course, and there is little recourse. If there is a "change government" button somewhere, please tell me. I'd love to just fix that now and not have to hassle with the whole rebellion nonsense. The AI help is especially useless here. "Drop taxes or destroy the buildings." With the timely "put it down with troops" thrown in for good measure. Of course, there is no way to actually attack the rioters in any fashion, not even after they have destroyed 2 major buildings. Makes me wish for the old Lords of The Realm 2 option when you came across a village = "Slaughter these villagers?"

Another oddity. The game does not update. There is a very large patch out. My friend and I both bought the game the same night. Our computers are mirror images of each (we built them a month ago.) He gets consistent CTD and video driver errors. His Steam updated with the patch. Mine did not, and there is no apparent way to actually force an update, and the only hitch I have come across is the army/agent movement glitch.

Minor complaints - There needs to be a timer or some indicator on your cannons as to what stage of reloading they are in. Something to indicate how long before they fire again so you don't compulsively click on the enemy over and over again wondering when they will finally fire. Getting the cannon to actually STOP firing can be interesting as well. Some of the diplomacy is whacked. I had to actually destroy 5 factions (Wesphalia, United, Austria and a couple of others.) They declared war on me and wouldn't take a peace deal regardless of how badly I beat them up and took their territory.

2. hoom

Veteran

There was a fix to pre-industrial tech causing BC cities to have a relatively low maximum population? :shock:
    Fact is that cities over a certain size back then were unpleasant to live in for the bulk of their inhabitants and that limited the size of cities.
    Migrations to get away from over-population happened then too.

If the game is limiting your population or forcing you to migrate people, then its doing its job in providing historicish background behaviour.

3. Silenti

Regular

There was NO migration, controlled or otherwise, just rebellion. The best you could do was form peasant armies. That was my point. My problem was not the limited population, it was the lack of a specific mechanic, designed to and used for, the population problem. Beyond just slaughtering the populace wholesale. And providing historical background? Ok. Explain how the far eastern state I just slaughtered down to 7 people (something on the eastern edge of the map), succesfully rebelled the next turn, with no other armies or personnel present for a long distance, and suddenly they have 600 ex-Gladiators? If there had been a designed mechanic to deal with it, historically accurate or otherwise, I wouldn't have mentioned it.

Strangely enough, that problem my friend was having, is for both Nvidia and Ati drivers, and is specific (98% of the time) to having installed a SQL hot fix of some kind. What was has to do with the other I have no idea. Does that make any sense?

4. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

So I've been playing this game a lot recently and I like it mostly but I've noticed quite a few bugs. Sometimes my men just wont respond at all to commands. Other times the enemy doesn't do anything and I just end up killing them all firing squad style. Is anybody else experiencing this or is it just me?

5. daRodrikz

Newcomer

it's not just you

Well, if the official forums are any indication you're not the only one :grin: I bought thru Steam last week and I've noticed quite a number of bugs, most of them gameplay-related like the ones you mention but there's a lot of folks with constant CTDs after a battle or corrupt saves (those two really hurt:mad:) and other gamebreaking bugs. Also, there are people who haven't been able to play at all because CA o SEGA didn't check thoroughly enough the minimum hardware requirements.

CA released the first patch a couple of days after release and another one last week, on the 26th, followed by a hotfix the 27th to fix what the patch had broken. So far a lot of of problems don't seem to be resolved. The main complaint seems to be that the game release looks really rushed and we customers are paying 50€ to be betatesters.

I personally have just had 2 CTD after a battle (apparently you don't want to press the per-unit review button) and BSOD that could be due to OC. The game looks really promising, the campaign map has been improved and streamlined, quite nice for those like me who micromanage everything. Graphics are really impresive and have the same great feeling of other iterations of the saga.

Just don't expect any good AI (AI factions don't even know how to board armies to a fleet) or that your quad CPU will use more than 2 cores :roll:

6. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Ah k hopefully CA gets it patched eventually. I've had a few CTDs but nothing too major... hopefully I wont run into that corrupted save game issue as that would be really horrible. I'll make multiple saves from now on.

7. hoom

Veteran

Yeah, there are definitely heaps of bugs.
    I've actually not been terribly affected in my Marathas campaign (other than sound delays/cutting out, couple of graphical glitches & AI oddities).

There is apparently a new patch for sound caching released 30th which will hopefully fix my sound when I get home.

CA have said that their first patch was small to fix CTDs & other major stability type issues first, with a bigger gameplay related patch split off & delayed to get the stability stuff done first & that they plan on cycling like that (small stability -> big gameplay).

Since then they have done several small stability type patches & quick fixes for stuff missed/broken by patches.
    That means the big one that was going to be launch day is still to come.

Definitely a bunch of bugs I'd experienced previously have been fixed & I think this is shaping up to be a better post launch supported game than the previous TW games.

Seems to be some rumors that CA internally wasn't happy at all to be releasing the game in this state.

8. Eaglelives

Newcomer

Is empire actually worth spending money on then? I loved the old total war games but they seem to be more of the same these days and i dont really want to play them. Is it as overcomplicated in the single player as rome/medieval 2 were?

9. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I'd say it's perfectly complicated! The complexity is what draws me to this game, if it wasn't for that it'd be a fail imo. I'm not sure how it compares to the other games though as I have never played them.

Anyways does anybody else find naval battles really hard? I don't understand what I'm doing wrong really. I went against the British (they had 3 ships) with 5 ships of my own and got pretty easily destroyed. My brigs kept just outright exploding, I lost 3 that way. One broadside and then boom! gone. Really quite annoying, not sure whats going on cause the enemy brigs never seem to blow up. Anybody have any insights? Is this a glitch? Also is there any general strat I should be following in naval battles?

10. daRodrikz

Newcomer

I find it a bit less complicated than previous ones because at least you can manage what can be built just at a glance from the campaign map without going inside the towns. The way regions develop is also an improvement IMO.

The naval battles are a nice addition but I also found pretty soon that even an inferior enemy could destroy my fleet before my eyes even when there was nothing really wrong with my tactics. More recently I got better results and I'm not afraid of battling myself; it's very useful to leverage the manouverability and speed of smaller vessels to your benefit, but it works for the AI also so be careful. Still, my land battles are overwhelmingly more effective (yeah, the AI is sometimes lacking)

Another patch yesterday to address the CTDs after battles, apparently caused by bad sound caching.

As for the question is it worth the money, IMO it is as much as MTW2 or Rome are, but in this case maybe waiting a couple of months would probably mean a more polished product (less headaches) and likely cheaper.

11. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

12. TheD

Newcomer

This game is so very buggy,

I have had just about all the bugs listed and I have also had ones that make the game artifact every 20 mins or so even when I have underclocked my GFX card and turned the fan up (GPU running at 56c, which is only 7c over idle) and I have also had a huge pain in the arse bug that makes the mouse buttons stop working for a few seconds.

And then there are the many huge memory leaks that make the game unplayable after an hour or so.

This is far worse than MTW2 when it came out and to be frank I do not think I will ever buy a CA game ever again.

#92 TheD, Mar 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2009
  13. Randell

Randell Senior Daddy
    Veteran

I know a Sega QC manager and he was very unhappy with the deadline that was imposed. It's definetely a better coding team than the Med II team, but its a huge complex game and really did more dev time.

14. hoom

Veteran

Yeah, if they can get everything actually working, it'll be a truly great game.

Some mods are already getting much better performance out of the AI & improving stats etc.
    For some reason CA keeps making these complex engines with a complicated combat simulation but then put stats in that break the algorithms & confuse the AI :mad:

Fortunately there is a good infrastructure for modding this time :)
    You put your mod into a .pack file in the main directory & then add the file name to a text file in the config folder.
    If there are any conflicts the game loads the last changed file based on the order set in the text file.
    The mod community has already got an unpacker/repacker & a gui mod manager to take away the manual setting of the text file :grin:

Regarding naval battles, dunno what that guy is smoking about double columns :???:
    That looks like a good way to lose.

Here's some tips from me that are more likely to be of actual use:
    • Use only one or two groups set up in line astern.
    • Select the whole group & give orders, the ships will then move in formation.
    • If you are using two groups, try to send one down each side of the enemy fleet.
    • The AI is very good at making sure its guns are bearing on your ships almost the whole time, if you don't do the same you'll get hurt by this & I think its the main reason that people are having a hard time.
      Just charging in to close the gap & copping 2 or 3 unanswered salvos will leave you damaged, with reduced crew & probably a few guns down.
    • Leave your ships on fire at will, broadsides tend to miss with most of the shot & you'll often miss a salvo that would have gone out on fire at will.
    • Leave your ships firing round shot much longer than you feel like you should.
      It's very easy to get yourself shot up by trying to be tricky with chain/grape shot without first making sure the enemy has had his firepower sufficiently weakened.
    • Don't use grape shot against the wooden sides of a ship.
      To kill off gun crew, first shoot open the sides of the ship using round shot, only once there are big holes is it worth firing some close range grape through the holes.
    • Galleons & Fluyts are about equivalent to a 4th rater.
    • 6th & 5th raters eat sloops & brigs for lunch & 4th raters are significantly better than 5th raters so don't go attacking Galleons with a bunch of brigs.
    • Don't let your newest & greatest or legendary experienced ship get close to galleys, xebecs or brigs unless you don't mind seeing your ship chain reaction explode :shock:
    • If you want ship captures don't just end the battle when everyone is routing, you need to chase the routing ships down & force them to surrender either by dismasting, de-crewing or scaring them with overpowering force nearby.
    • Heavily shot-up ships are prone to sinking if you start doing hard maneuvres/going full speed, if you can spare the guns it may be better to move the ship out of the way & let it come to a stop.

15. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I actually tried out the double line last night and it was fairly effective. I got a little bit messed up later on because the enemy messed up my formation but other than that is was pretty effective. Why do you say that it looks like a good way to loose? By sending a line down each side of the enemy fleet you're not going to be concentrating your fire on one side and it's going to take more salvos to sink the ships, with the double line you have all of your ships focusing on one side.

16. hoom

Veteran

Its a good way to lose because of the ease with which your further away column is going to wind up shooting your closer column.
    There are several cases of that happening in the video.
    If you wanted to do an offset line like that its better to put them in the order you want then use a single group.

Like land units, ships take a morale penalty from being attacked from both sides at once.
    In the demo battle for example, I sent a column down each side of the first French group.
    Result: One sinking French ship, one routing French ship, the rest surrendered without any boarding, minimal damage to my ships.

17. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

Hmm I'll have to try that out.

Anyways though I started an ottoman campaign today and holy crap either I suck or these units suck (I really think these units suck). Horrid line inf, most of the units are melee and all suck, even the 'elite' Janissaries seem to be outclassed by simple line inf in melee. I'm having a hell of a time trying to take any countries at all. I find that I need 3-4 more blocks in my stack to stand a chance in combat.

Another thing I noticed is the units *all* seem to break and flee easily. I just had a battle against the Russians and my general died and within 2 minutes every one of my 6 units was fleeing off the battle field (many units had more than 50% of the men left). Ridiculous, frigging ottomans need to learn some discipline. No wonder their empire crumbled.

18. hoom

Veteran

Er generals give a morale bonus & generals dying gives a heavy morale penalty.

19. Freak'n Big Panda

Regular

I realize that, but there have been times before when my general has died (playing at the brits or americans) and it hasn't had such a large negative effect. I can't find the stats atm but I'm pretty sure the ottomans generally have far lower moral than the euro empires. The standard line inf I'm using right now (isralys) have 7 moral.

EDIT: Found the stats. They do have lower moral, 7 vs 9-10 for the euro empires line inf.

20. hoom

Veteran

...And so the morale bonus from your general becomes more important when playing as the crumbling Ottoman Empire.