New Steam survey results (started April 5th)

Pete

Moderate Nuisance
Legend
Might be interesting to some folks. Some quick tabulations via an Excel sort:

Code:
Drivers:
nv4_disp.dll	367,198	51.12 %
ati2dvag.dll	298,739	41.59 %

Total GPUs:
ATI	285,957
NVIDIA	339,710

GPU breakdown:
ATI 9500-9800	184,433
ATI X800		20,256
NV 6600			3,724
NV 6800			36,790
NV 5500-5950		81,891
NV GF4/MX		106,327
There are a lot of "unknown"/"other" cards, tho: almost 80,000! I don't know if those contain ATI SKUs that aren't represented in the individual names (X800XL, X800SE, X700/P), or 6600s that I know are out there, or what. So, while it's safe to say that ATI won the last round (excluding the low end, where the FX5200 outsold the DX8 9x00 by almost 2:1), it's hard to know by how much NV has won this one--of if they have at all. Lotta GF4/MXs out there, still.

Also, the vast majority of users are on XP, and it's a pretty even split b/w Intel and AMD.

Surprisingly low number of 6600s IMO.

There's something I don't understand about the memory results. The first line, ">=24 Mb to <32 Mb", suggests that it's always "up to, but not including". However, the last line says "Above 2.0 Gb". So where does the transition occur? I certainly don't believe there's only a single person with 2 GiB of RAM.

And the network speed categories shouldn't be so US centric ;)

Processor Vendor
Virtual CPU 1 0.00 %
:LOL:

Processor Vendor
Code:
CentaurHauls    48  
CyrixInstead     6  
GenuineTMx86     5  
INTERWEBntel     1  
Virtual CPU      1

Network Speed
Code:
14.4 Kbps   633
There's some strange people out there... Very strange people...

trinibwoy said:
Wow, Nvidia did manage to sell a lot of 5200's when ATI was dominating. Marketing's a bitch!
Ati was dominating the High-end/enthusiast market.
The GFX5200s were the only "el mucho cheapo" DX9 compliant cards out there for a long time.

And before someone replies, I know that they were DX9 almost in the name alone, but that doesn't change the point. They were the cheapest DX9 cards available to retail and to OEM.

i think thats a pretty good showing of 6600 cards . after all they have been in retail what 4 months ? figure at the most a third of the owners would have half life 2 ? Then how many of them still play ?

Vysez said:
trinibwoy said:
Wow, Nvidia did manage to sell a lot of 5200's when ATI was dominating. Marketing's a bitch!
Ati was dominating the High-end/enthusiast market.
The GFX5200s were the only "el mucho cheapo" DX9 compliant cards out there for a long time.

And before someone replies, I know that they were DX9 almost in the name alone, but that doesn't change the point. They were the cheapest DX9 cards available to retail and to OEM.

Too bad they're too slow to get decent frame rates with any DX9 games.

But marketing sure does work wonders. Lots of people got fooled into buying them, then made later because they found out they sucked.

Alot more GF6800s than X800s out there. No big suprise.
The low number of 6600s is surpising. You'd think the 6600GT to be more popular. The GF6200s aren't listed.

Vysez said:
Processor Vendor
Code:
CentaurHauls    48  
CyrixInstead     6  
GenuineTMx86     5  
INTERWEBntel     1  
Virtual CPU      1
There's some strange people out there... Very strange people...

So... eh is there a way to customize processor id? (probable cause of INTERWEBntel)

Oh and what are CentaurHauls and TMx86?

edit: Via Ezra and Transmeta Crusoe it seems.

fallguy said:

But marketing sure does work wonders. Lots of people got fooled into buying them, then made later because they found out they sucked.

They did suck but I can tell you that most people who own low end cards either don't know or don't care. Most people that own these cards probably got them in OEM machines or just walked into best buy and picked one up. Remember, hardly anybody knows about Nvidia's shenanigans with NV3x. It's not like they had TV and radio ads out there.

trinibwoy said:
fallguy said:

They did suck but I can tell you that most people who own low end cards either don't know or don't care. Most people that own these cards probably got them in OEM machines or just walked into best buy and picked one up. Remember, hardly anybody knows about Nvidia's shenanigans with NV3x. It's not like they had TV and radio ads out there.

Yes, I think a lot of them got sold because OEMs and retailers were scrabbling around to find something for the low end that had the DX9 label on it. Whether they were any good as DX9 cards was a bit irrelevant - all that mattered was that there was something to fill that cheap, lowend market segment, so it was a bit of a gift to Nvidia.

Despite the NV3x quagmire, the 5200 makes quite a decent budget DX8 part, without the driver issues that have plagued the 8500-9200.

What was surprising to me (in a fashion) was the very high percentage of DVD drives in that survey. Over here in Europe they're quite common but from various discussions on this topic and some publisher/developer's comments I was always given the impression that in the US DVD-drives were a small minority.

Back