New Sony Storage Magneto Optical Technology

FutureCTO

Banned
Recently I made a post on Blu-ray and that Magneto optical or cartridge storage was the best optical archival format.
And that I was very sad that the technology had not been further pursued.
Then summarized by stating that paper was the best 100 year format.
Now search all that I can, this post can not be found.
(The ironic part is that I think it was in a thread I asked be deleted after it was closed. :cry: )

Summary:
Sony seems to have been given thought to this very same point.
Today the Nikkei reported Sony has an magnetic optical idea they want to license to HDD makes.
http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/03/03/sony.5x.hdd.storage.boost/

My only question is who's the engineer?
Cause somebody must be sharing a mind link. :p

Why in console technology?
Well it is Sony, and because there was a thread somewhere in the embedded forum where the above comments were made.

Riding on the wave of BluRay not sucking Sony decided to resurect MiniDisc technology, eh? And no, magneto-optical discs are not the best archive medium. If not the patent issues holographic media would be the most economical one. Even now it's one of the best when it comes to maintenance costs - in par with hard drives for $ per GB, but does not consume energy so gives you serious savings over time. Tapes are going nowhere though so it's hard to be superexcited about this news.

You are correct. Holographic technology is interesting and holds promise.
But the only idea I have found appealing is micro-image etching in a holographic substrate.
As it is my hope that with a microscope you could find the correct focal length to read it manually far in the future.
Or that they could be a projection method akin to celluloid overhead projection.
Anytime they start talking bits/bytes and postage patterns I lose interest expecting each storage method will be replaced within 20 years.
And then the technology that could read that way, will be fully replaced by a non-compatible technology or method.

This new magneto optical method could have holographic potential. (Multiple optical layers)
So maybe this time you should be excited. This time the laser does the writing, not the magnet.
When before the laser heated the material to a changeable state and the magnet wrote the data.
I like the old way because it seems like the least corruptible magnetic media.
But laser etching/holographics is even less corruptible that magnets.
So long as the medium you etch data into does not degrade on its own.

Perhaps they’ve developer a magnetic phase change media that can only be etched when heated by induction.
Then you would have the advantage of pressed media in a writable format.
This is something I have been thinking about since learning I could use my 100 year old cast iron with the latest flat range tops.
http://theinductionsite.com/how-induction-works.shtml
Basically a ferrous phase change material could be used instead of a chemical dye phase change layer.
The optical wavelength for this density would have to be focused smaller than the blu-violet spectrum.
But this is just what I have been considering and nothing mentioned by the story.
My idea also allows for ultra thin ferrous layers that multi-focal-light could pass through or etch.

Mefisutoferesu, are you sure those patents correlate to this news story?
The method of writing mentioned in them seems to be in line with the older way of writing.

I thought he was writing some boring storage themed poem or something lol

I am really sorry but I'm still not very excited.
Working in the storage industry for some time this info makes me go "meh" at best.
Sony's technologies are usually overpriced and that's the main reason holographic media didn't catch up yet.
After all it's archiving we're talking about.
Price for GB per year is the only factor relevant.
Coolness is futile.

Back