New Revolution Controller Feature revealed

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by Ben-Nice, Apr 26, 2006.

1. Ben-Nice

Regular

http://revolution.advancedmn.com/article.php?artid=6601

Nunchaku Controller Feature Revealed April 25, 2006

by: Phillip Levin

CONFIRMED: Sources close to Nintendo confirm for AMN that the rumors are true. Details inside.

Last week, a rumor hit the net claiming that the Nintendo Revolution’s nunchaku controller features a built-in acellerometer allowing it to sense it being tilted left or right, or being moved up, down, left, right and in a number of other directions as well.

Today, AMN has confirmed through a developer incredibly close to Nintendo that this rumor is in fact true. The nunchaku peripheral does feature this secondary function. However, we were also told that the nunchaku controller does not feature the same pointing and motion sensing abilities that allow the Revolution free-hand controller to be used like a “pointer†or “wand.â€

One example we’ve come up to describe how this function will be useful in future software involves a first-person shooter, in which you use the free-hand controller to look around and aim, while you use the nunchaku controllers analog stick to move around and strafe. Most importantly, you’d be able to tilt the nunchaku controller to the left or right to reload your weapon.

More intriguing than all this, perhaps, our source told us that this “feature†of the nunchaku controller has been in their development kits since they first received them over six months ago. This raises the question, of course, is this the second big secret function of the Revolution controller? It could be. However, it’s odd that developers have had access to the feature and information all along, without ever being told to keep the information under wraps.

2. Gholbine

Regular

Sounds awesome. I can't wait to get my hands on the controller and see how it plays for myself.

3. Sis

Sis mental_v-sync=off;
    Veteran

Is there something about video games that distorts the definition of the word "confirm"? This is NOT confirmation, this is further rumor. Just because the rumor adds "sources close to Nintendo" does not make it a confirmation. Putting it in all caps does nothing to further enhance the credibility of it, though apparently it makes a difference to some.

4. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

So devs haven't been under NDA not to talk about Revolution features? Or this journalist doesn't really know what they're talking about? I wonder...

5. Teasy

Veteran

Egde Magazine mentioned this feature back in December in there Revolution cover story.

6. m1nd_x

Newcomer

judging by the gameinformer interview, this isn't the secret*... it may be a feature.. but, really.. how shocked are you?

7. pc999

Veteran

Meybe/probably is more than that.

http://1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=3&cId=3149198

8. NANOTEC

Banned

Nintendo has already said the Wiimote will have rumble built-in right?

9. StefanS

StefanS meandering Velosoph
    Veteran

Yeah, that's quite strange. The GI article about Red Steel didn't mention anything about it, though. I don't think Ubisoft would leave out that feature intentionally. That leaves me a little bit confused.

10. Guden Oden

Guden Oden Senior Member
    Legend

I've been thinking it would be a damn shame if the analog stick attachment did not have a motion sensor built into it. Seems Nintendo reasoned the same way. Good!

It'd be pretty weird if say, a zelda game for example, would require a user to buy a second revmote to use as a shield... It's a logical step that the attachment contains a sensor also. Hope there's a rumbler in it too! :p

11. pc999

Veteran

For confirmation.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/703/703727p2.html

12. winstonsmith1978

Newcomer

now we just need a new Punch-Out.

13. version

Regular

14. cthellis42

cthellis42 Hoopy Frood
    Legend

Will it feature the ability to remove the name from the console? ;)

15. Teasy

Veteran

The name on the console is fine, "Wii" in funky lettering that looks quite cool. Just don't say it (especially not Nintendo's pronounciation) and its fine :D