New RE4 (PS2) gameplay trailer

-NakedZ-

Regular
New gameplay footage of the PS2 build is up. I haven't have the time to look and compare, so I couldn't tell if the enviroments have been cut down. It looks good nonetheless. But is it me, or maybe it's the low res video, but there seem to be a little less gore and animation?

- Z

It's hard to get a good look at the textures, which is probably going to be the most problematic thing to do on PS2 (but not impossible, look at Silent Hill 3 for example), but apart from that, it looks like a neigh on perfect port.
Of course there is the EMBM effects used in some locations for water and such, which is of course impossible to do in PS2. A very close approximation should be possible though, with environment mapping or multible layers of displaced alpha CLUT textures with environment mapping.

Squeak said:
It's hard to get a good look at the textures, which is probably going to be the most problematic thing to do on PS2 (but not impossible, look at Silent Hill 3 for example), but apart from that, it looks like a neigh on perfect port.
Of course there is the EMBM effects used in some locations for water and such, which is of course impossible to do in PS2. A very close approximation should be possible though, with environment mapping or multible layers of displaced alpha CLUT textures with environment mapping.

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=965400.965475
www.scee.sony.co.uk/sceesite/files/presentations/siggraph2003/PrimalSeasCvt.ppt

http://www.scee.sony.co.uk/sceesite/files/presentations/siggraph2003/OsWaterPoolMp1.mpg
http://www.scee.sony.co.uk/sceesite/files/presentations/siggraph2003/OsWaterMontageMp1.mpg
http://www.scee.sony.co.uk/sceesite/files/presentations/siggraph2003/OsShipwaterMontageMp1.mpg

... refraction,reflection,multilayered water on the PS2 /In this sketch we present a variety of water and sea effects seen in the PlayStation®2 game Primal™ (released Q1 2003), culminating in a sea surface with a real-time rendered parabolic environment map and refracted undersea view./
... we can get much better results,now in 2005,I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll wait and see the game in stores. Currently it doesn't look as good as the gamecube version

jvd said:
I'll wait and see the game in stores. Currently it doesn't look as good as the gamecube version
I don't know...i played the gc version and will you know the part when leon talks to the first villagerin the begining of the game? i noticed that the villiager has fingers and an outstanding amount of detail. they use that same model more than once and it looked the same. i thought that he was that detailed because he was in a cutsene. when i saw the ps2 version, he was downgraded a few polys at the hand and head parts. at the same time the same cutsene intro, the ps2's model he had the same detail as gamecubes lntro, and that was an eariler build. maybe because the dont disappear like in the gamecube version is the cause of low poly models in that build. also i dont know how old that build is though more recent than the build from which the crappy pictures came from.i hope they pollish it some more, i know they can do it. btw ps2 version looks to have a better framerate probly cause lower poly models.

The enviroments in this video look faithful, the enemies on the other hand seem to be less detailled.
All in all, Capcom pulled quite a trick with this conversion.

Not bad, maybe the best PS2 port we'll ever see.

But if they Get it THAT close by just a few months porting other consoles code over.
Just think how it could of looked if they developed it EXCLUSIVE for PS2, and coded just for those Vecter units

scatteh316 said:
Not bad, maybe the best PS2 port we'll ever see.

But if they Get it THAT close by just a few months porting other consoles code over.
Just think how it could of looked if they developed it EXCLUSIVE for PS2, and coded just for those Vecter units

Don't think that would matter. The PS2 has its limits and it shows in RE4. You think RE4 isn't using the VUs to its limits? Why do you think textures, lighting, and polys have ALL been downgraded? Besides most of the development time for this game has already been done on the GCN version ie the art assets. Why don't some people just accept that GCN is more powerful?

µCOM-4 said:
How can you tell from looking at this simple video?
watching the video over and over. when loen jumps out the window and the viliager jumps you will see hes head is blocky. also when the viliager graps for leon he has no fingers. but i did notice that in the second video the enemys has true shadows and the gc version they dont.

"The PS2 has its limits and it shows in RE4."
there are games coming up for ps2 that looks better than re4 tech wise.

"You think RE4 isn't using the VUs to its limits?"
no, because no game has yet based on the performance program. its very hard to achive and 9 months isnt gonna do it

"Why do you think textures, lighting, and polys have ALL been downgraded?"
the only thing that is downgraded is poly as far as i can see.the videos are too blurry to see anything else

"Why don't some people just accept that GCN is more powerful?"
well with 5 processors cpu, fpu, vu0, vu1, epu, its kinda hard not to think it isnt atlease equal. only problem with ps2 is that it has barely any hardwired effects but with 5 processors it shouldnt have that much problems. btw re4 doesnt do any impressive tech wise so it shouldnt be a surprise that it turned out that way.

pixelbox said:
"The PS2 has its limits and it shows in RE4."
there are games coming up for ps2 that looks better than re4 tech wise.

"You think RE4 isn't using the VUs to its limits?"
no, because no game has yet based on the performance program. its very hard to achive and 9 months isnt gonna do it

"Why do you think textures, lighting, and polys have ALL been downgraded?"
the only thing that is downgraded is poly as far as i can see.the videos are too blurry to see anything else

"Why don't some people just accept that GCN is more powerful?"
well with 5 processors cpu, fpu, vu0, vu1, epu, its kinda hard not to think it isnt atlease equal. only problem with ps2 is that it has barely any hardwired effects but with 5 processors it shouldnt have that much problems. btw re4 doesnt do any impressive tech wise so it shouldnt be a surprise that it turned out that way.

****German Scan**** the have fingers and a detailed face in this version

Pixelbox read the rules first, before posting Scans. ;)

Also, this thread won't turn into a GC vs PS2 bashfest. No, it won't, really.

The PS2 has a lot of flexbility, but in the overall the GC graphical capabilities and features set are superior to thoses of the PS2. How much superior and in what kind of scenarios? Well, people don't care, well should not, and this thread is not the right place to discuss about that anyway (Moreover the subject has already been beaten to death).

Now if someone want to start a meaningless "The GC Compared to the PS2" thread, do it in the technical forum not in the middle of a game topic.
Note that GC VS. Xbox VS. PS2 is an old story, counteless times already told, better use the search function.

Erm, a few months? By the time the game is released on PS2 it will have been in development for the system for well over a year (possibly a lot longer if some are to be believed).

PC-Engine said:
Don't think that would matter. The PS2 has its limits and it shows in RE4. You think RE4 isn't using the VUs to its limits? Why do you think textures, lighting, and polys have ALL been downgraded? Besides most of the development time for this game has already been done on the GCN version ie the art assets. Why don't some people just accept that GCN is more powerful?

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60670

GUN

ss_preview_1.jpg

During the demonstration, it's immediately apparent that Neversoft has truly pushed the boat out in technical terms, with stunningly expansive and hugely detailed environments all running in progressive scan (even on the PAL version of the PS2, no less). The texturing was of the highest quality throughout what we were shown, from the detailed forest we flanked throughout the opening exchanges, to the mountainous vistas stretching off into the distance.

To complement the richly detailed environments, Gun's art quality elsewhere is equally masterful. Take the character models, for example; not only are all the game's characters beautifully animated, but they benefit from a massive attention to detail, showing off the weather-beaten expressions wonderfully, not to mention individual strands of hair and even their battered old clothes. The physics implementation is incredibly special too; it's hard to appreciate just how difficult it must be to animate a horse authentically, for example, but whatever it is Neversoft has done, it has worked. It's one of the most solid-looking games we've seen in this generation, and it's great to see their obvious talents being applied to something other than skateboarding.

... not to mention BLACK,Ikusagami,JaK3 engine etc. etc.

WOW!! So even Capcom says that the PS2 still has some untapped power left in it. The PS2 is like the energizer bunny. It keeps going and going.

ok, so the PRL (plaga removing rifle) does change the gameplay style, and considerably at certain moments. unfortunately not for the better, IMO, if they actually keep the environment and encounters true to the original*. so aside from that, what would make a person who has the gc version go get the ps2 version?... note that i'm not dissing the ps2 port or anything, i'm just trying to decide for myself whether i want the new re4 beside the original or not - as i can always take some more re4, especially with some special sauce ; ) now from that article it seems there won't be any more gameplay time with ada (that ada report will be more of a documentary thingie).

* if you can handle a situation using only the scope rifle the PRL does not really add much to the experience. on the contrary - the regenerators, when faced with the sope rifle only, are a nice thrill that keeps the tension toward the end of the game.

Back