Playstation Portal Remote Play Device

Nesh

Double Agent
Legend
If there is a market for it, then it makes sense. Is there a market to play console games on the go using dedicated handhelds or phone accessories? Well, yes. And some people buy their games on Switch only because they can play it anywhere in their house / outside.

If there is a market for it, then it makes sense. Is there a market to play console games on the go using dedicated handhelds or phone accessories? Well, yes. And some people buy their games on Switch only because they can play it anywhere in their house / outside.
But is there?
Surely we can remote play with Playstation already on tablets and phones. The Switch is successful because it is the main game device itself, giving both options.
Now this isn't a PS5 that gives the option to play on TV and on the go.
If its just a remote play device, then this is an accessory.
If it is a handheld device with remote play capabilities, it is competing with Switch that is both a console and a handheld, it shares play time with Playstation 5 and needs additional resources for its own content.
Ideally this could have been a device that can play your digitally purchased PS4/PS5 games. That way it doesnt need additional resources for its own content, it acts as a remote play device, and as a portable PS5.
But I dont see this happening unless Sony pulled out an outstanding business model we didnt think of.

Whatever it is, it needs full controller.
Vita was quite a nice system, but lack of physical buttons was bad.

The way people talk about Steam Deck, there is!
Steam Deck is both a portable PC with tons of PC pre existing and future games available since launch and gets all the major multiplatform releases.
What is the proposal the PS Portable is offering that diversifies enough and yet attracts a substantial market?
How does Sony not repeat the market failure of the Vita?
This is why I said I cant see any market for it, unless it can ran/play all the existing and future Playstation content from PS Store. Just like you can buy games from the existing Steam digital store for Steam Deck, you should be able to do the same for PS Portable. That way you dont need to create new content, and support each device as separate platforms.

At a fraction (ideally) the cost of PS5, there are things to consider if you can play titles you own etc.

But I would agree that with everyone already owning a mobile device, that seems to make more sense. Just Bluetooth your controller.

Does Sony already have an xcloud-like service?
I am not uptodate on what xcloud does, but I think its about streaming games?
One of the tiers of PS+ lets you stream games, there was this other service they tried to get off the ground, I forgot the name, but it got merged into PS+ when that got tiers.

You are referring to PSNow, whose service is under the PS Plus Premium Subscription now.
I dont remember how PSNow was priced, but if you are a PC owner with no PS5, I dont know how good that value proposition is just for streaming PS3 and PS4 games, while missing all the other benefits. AFAIK It doesnt include PS5 games? Correct me if this is not the case.

You are referring to PSNow, whose service is under the PS Plus Premium Subscription now.
I dont remember how PSNow was priced, but if you are a PC owner with no PS5, I dont know how good that value proposition is just for streaming PS3 and PS4 games, while missing all the other benefits. AFAIK It doesnt include PS5 games? Correct me if this is not the case.

I have no clue about the PS5 games or even about Ps+ in general, never bothered with more than the lowest tier.
So yes, you are probably right :)

There are ps5 games on the premium tier of PS plus

They are download only titles. Sony does not have PS5 game streaming from the cloud.

This rumored device only works off of remote play from your own home console indicates that Sony are nowhere close to offering PS5 Game Streaming from their datacenters.

What is interesting is that PS5 game streaming is possible, so Sony have the option of populating their datacentres with PS5 hardware to enable game streaming. I guess they want instead to sell consoles? Maybe after PS4 streaming, they worked out the cost/benefit ratio and felt it didn't work for them.

Sony should make a PS4Portable using the same emulation tech as is in the PS5. That should be a small investment and probably sell well.

Back