New PGR2 Screens

This game looks ultra slick. I saw the Edge DVD and boy do those graphic look SHARP, ultra SHARP. It might not have the 1-month-for-1-car-model of GT4, but technically else, it has GT4 beaten to a plup.

Looking slick, maybe even too slick.
Replays look better, but in game the cars do not gel with the backgrounds. Maybe a result of unrealistic lighting.
The car models seem to have lost some detail compared to real cars, the lines are smooth, but the cars look like they've been modelled using miniature car models as models.

Not bad, not bad at all.

I've heard that Bizarre are using all kind of hard drive caching methods to really allow much larger cities (smaller geometry detail, hi-res texture maps).

The Edge DVD featured videos of build found on E3 floor, which ran at 30FPS. There's this whole host of speculation now that they will downgrade graphics to make it run at 60FPS. There seems to be some disparity between framebuffer shots taken from the running build compared to those FSAA-ed screens that MS is releasing. In game screens look more like first PGR to me, it's as if the lighting looks worse or something, not just image quality. Self shadowing is also missing from the ingame screens. Rabidrabbit said it very aptly that they look like miniature car models for some reason. But I guess if it's pre-alpha it's too early to complain about anything.

"eh" is about all I can say. Here's hoping that next gen, track environments will actually get a slice of the polygon budget :?

its nice seeing such pictures on NVIDIA hardware without massive texturing problems of the Geforce FX.

I really like the specular highlight on the bumper in this pic: http://www.xboxworld.nl/images/screenshots/pgr2_067.jpg It looks very nice, though maybe some kind of dirt-map on the cars would make them look more real. Right now they're all showroom-shiny, which makes them stand out from the rest of the environment to a considerable degree.

Speaking of which, while they are a bit spartan (and hey, can't they get some aniso lovin' when the hardware supports it? Trilinear blur isn't fun in a driving game...), I do like that things like windows etc reflect sunlight/the sky. That heightens the sense of realism.

Now, if only I was a fan of driving games... ;)

Btw... Funny how basically first thing Chap says is how this game has a PS2 game beaten to a 'plup'... :?

*G*

Btw... Funny how basically first thing Chap says is how this game has a PS2 game beaten to a 'plup'...

lax man lax! :LOL:
GT4 was used simply because it was regarded as some benchmark of racer graphics......till i saw PGR2 in motion off E3 DVD. It does look ultra sharp ultra slick!!! No kidding! :oops: GT4 looks like some lowresy messy in comparison, even Halo2 doesnt look that slicky sharp!

OF course i am assuming all of them are non-direct trailers, which they are AFAICS. Maybe PGR2 footage was running at ultra high res...but i dont think so.... :oops:

well, if it's 30FPS, then I'd be very disappointed indeed... no matter how clean and shiny the graphics are at 30 fps, a below 60 framerate is inexcusable for a racer.

Well yeay, but am talking was about the graphics shown at E3. Maybe it got optimized over time, maybe we have the real PGR2 engine by launch! *wink* :p

The guy who works at the site who took the pictures (the ones in the second link) said they were direct framebuffer captures. He also stated that it is indeed using FSAA and the framerate is generally 60fps and dips in a few areas. Keep in mind that it's a post-E3 build and is only pre-alpha.

It was also mentioned that the game looks phenominal in motion (almost a completely different game than PGR).

chaphack said:
Btw... Funny how basically first thing Chap says is how this game has a PS2 game beaten to a 'plup'...

lax man lax! :LOL:
GT4 was used simply because it was regarded as some benchmark of racer graphics......till i saw PGR2 in motion off E3 DVD. It does look ultra sharp ultra slick!!! No kidding! :oops: GT4 looks like some lowresy messy in comparison, even Halo2 doesnt look that slicky sharp!

OF course i am assuming all of them are non-direct trailers, which they are AFAICS. Maybe PGR2 footage was running at ultra high res...but i dont think so.... :oops:

But the problem is you haven't seen any close to release GT4 shots yet. If you say it has beaten GT3 and the older PGR, then yes, the shots are.

But I will still wait until I see the real game running on my X-BOX to determine if it is beating anything graphically, but for sure gameplay is another issue.

It looks quite nice, but there´s a couple of problems with the screenshots. I´m not too technically oriented, but I can sure see when many of the buildings and such are really lacking in geometry. Cars also look very strange, I don´t know if it´s a case of modelling them after Hot Wheels cars, but they definitely do look strange. They certainly look unrealistic and out of place.

well, if it's 30FPS, then I'd be very disappointed indeed... no matter how clean and shiny the graphics are at 30 fps, a below 60 framerate is inexcusable for a racer.
Don't worry, final version is going to be 60FPS.

Wow. What a nice looking game, the visuals have the usual Xbox sharpness. The cars are great. Looks like a solid arcade racer. PGR one was great, looks like PGR2 will be even better.

One thing I noticed - the shadows on the buildings are part of the texture (I think). The shadows of trees and buildings on the road part of the road texture, and not rendered in real-time. How can you tell? The shadows don't project onto the cars. Anyways, it makes for a nice visual effect that doesn't use up too much performance.

But the problem is you haven't seen any close to release GT4 shots yet. If you say it has beaten GT3 and the older PGR, then yes, the shots are.

I seen PGR2 + GT4 in motion off the E3 DVD. Both of which arent direct feed trailers, both of which arent close to release either. ;)
I think it was May or June issue of Edge, buy it and see for yourself.

GT4 was used simply because it was regarded as some benchmark of racer graphics......till i saw PGR2 in motion off E3 DVD. It does look ultra sharp ultra slick!!! No kidding! GT4 looks like some lowresy messy in comparison, even Halo2 doesnt look that slicky sharp!

not a good Idea to use non released games as a benchmark for anything...except to irritate fanbys :LOL:

Back