P4 2.8C CPU
Gigabyte 8iK1100 875P Motherboard
1Gb PC3500 GeIL Dual DDR RAM
Radeon 9800Pro 128Mb
80Gb Maxtor SATA HDD
Pioneer 106 4x DVD-/+R/RW Burner
470W Top Power PSU
ThermalTake V1000+ Black Case

Firstly, I must say it amazing going to this config from a 1.3ghz tbird, speed difference is incredible. Secondly, this is my first ever ATI card, I have had nvidia chips since the TNT2. I must say that the IQ difference is quite noticable, as everyone raves, and of course it's bloody fast! :D Even with 6xAA and 16x Aniso, it maintains a decent framerate!

I absolutely love that Animusic demo from their site, IMO it's the best one from both Nv and ATI. Also enjoyed Dawn on the 9800 which looks extremely nice.

Enough of raving, here's my problem I have encountered:

I have the Maxtor SATA as the boot drive, and the Pioneer as a Master on Secondary IDE channel. I wanted to use my old 100Gb maxtor from previous PC (leaving 20Gb boot drive in what is now the 3rd workstation). I thought I could simply add the 100Gb IDE on the primary channel but it failed to boot as it did not detect the SATA drive when I did it this way.

It seems that when a hard drive is plugged into the ide channel it wants to boot of it. I cannot select a SAT drive as a boot option because it's well... not an option. I can configure the SATA manually to act as an IDE device but it takes over a whole channel, not just primary or slave. So I can select the SATA drive as secondary channel and configure boot priority for HDD-1 (instead of HDD-0) and it boots the SATA drive and can access the 100GB IDE drive as well. The problem here is that configuring the SATA drive as secnodary channel, removes the DVDR drive as SATA takes over the whole channel, so I can't access it.

With the case config I have, I don't really want to master/slave the 100gb and dvdr on the same channel (which will work), and I aws wondering if anyone knows a way to get around this, or whether someone has a similar config running SATA and IDE and was able to do this with their mobo.

kalbaz

Things to try:

1. Change the primary boot device in the BIOS to "other". IIRC, some boards use this to get a definate boot off SATA devices.

2. Format the old Maxtor so that it is not a boot drive. It it's coming up faster than the SATA drive, it will be identiefied as the bootable disk first.

I'l try other when I get home, might be a possibility.

2. Format the old Maxtor so that it is not a boot drive. It it's coming up faster than the SATA drive, it will be identiefied as the bootable disk first.

It's not a boot drive, it was my second HDD in my old PC.

Back