New patent by Mark Cerny on improving Ray Tracing

Not related to PS5 as it's for hardware. Hardware that accelerates a volume hierarchy asynchronously to shaders. It's a possibility for PS6, maybe PS5Pro if the API supports it, or maybe the same machine that's going to use Sony's prior patents on Photon Mapping...

You have to wonder how much of a hand he had in this, hes getting on years aint he? Where does he find the time
But big ups nevertheless

You have to wonder how much of a hand he had in this, hes getting on years aint he? Where does he find the time
But big ups nevertheless
Yeah the man has a passion and a mental energy that never runs out. He has been contributing and innovating in the industry since the 90s. Or was it even earlier?
He is a prodigy.

Not related to PS5 as it's for hardware. Hardware that accelerates a volume hierarchy asynchronously to shaders. It's a possibility for PS6, maybe PS5Pro if the API supports it, or maybe the same machine that's going to use Sony's prior patents on Photon Mapping...
Possibly

Possibly for PS5 Pro. The same way they added specific hardware / API on Pro (ID buffer and others) to aid 4K rendering they could add specific hardware / API on PS5 Pro to help RT rendering.

From wikipedia:
Marble Madness is an arcade video game designed by Mark Cerny and published by Atari Games in 1984

He was 18 it seems like :)

And I played it and finished it on Atari ST in a Saturday and then disappointed it just stopped (the Amiga version had a mode where you got less time each time you finished it or something) I went back to the store and traded it because it was like $100. And then I got Gauntlet II and money back (that game was like $68). That was a great move as Gauntlet II was awesome even soldered some extra controller ports so we could do 4 player.

And I played it and finished it on Atari ST in a Saturday and then disappointed it just stopped (the Amiga version had a mode where you got less time each time you finished it or something) I went back to the store and traded it because it was like $100. And then I got Gauntlet II and money back (that game was like $68). That was a great move as Gauntlet II was awesome even soldered some extra controller ports so we could do 4 player.
Two things I want some clarification for.
What do you mean you got less time each time you finished it? Like everytime you finished it the game was shorter?
And about soldering controllers. The Atari didnt support 4 controllers. But the game supported 4 players on the Atari?

Probably not for near future because for the moment it is used for movies but the Sony AI researcher said they will use it for gaming and there is an image showing PS5.

Possibly for PS5 Pro. The same way they added specific hardware / API on Pro (ID buffer and others) to aid 4K rendering they could add specific hardware / API on PS5 Pro to help RT rendering.
Thing is, at a cursory glance, it looks like something more general for RT HW, something you'd want/expect the IHVs to use. Looks to be a more flexible RT acceleration unit. (Note, really cursory glance! I haven't waded through the patent-speak).

It's more like an aggressive patent to try and shore up RT hardware for licensing fees for IHVs wanting to expand their RT solution to me. As I alluded with the reference to photon-mapping hardware which never happened, I'm not convinced anything should be read into these patents. I mean, we know patents are just paper, but there's plenty of prior patents we've seen over the years in the gaming space that come to nothing. I think statistically evidence of a patent before a product has been announced means it's not happening. ;)

Probably not for near future because for the moment it is used for movies but the Sony AI researcher said they will use it for gaming and there is an image showing PS5.
fimnger's crossed we get to see something great in the living room sooner than expected

I would still bet money that any PS5 Pro, if one will exist, will use off the shelf AMD RT capabilities rather than any custom design accelerators.

AMD do need to make a big leap here, though. I'm assuming they will given how much of a sore spot it is for them at the moment.

New patent, new topic ;) Patents are just that, patents, rarely if ever has it been accurate if we learned something from the 'next-gen console speculation' topics. And one can hope Sony would use AMD's hardware instead of them trying something themselfs, which most likely would mean performance that doesnt match all other hardwares.

New patent, new topic ;) Patents are just that, patents, rarely if ever has it been accurate if we learned something from the 'next-gen console speculation' topics. And one can hope Sony would use AMD's hardware instead of them trying something themselfs, which most likely would mean performance that doesnt match all other hardwares.

My guess is this is just a tweak of an amd patent.

My guess is this is just a tweak of an amd patent.
Which AMD patent, do you have a link? Whilst broken, the patent system does reject patent applications that bear too much similarity to issued patents.

Which AMD patent, do you have a link? Whilst broken, the patent system does reject patent applications that bear too much similarity to issued patents.

I'd have to go look into it more. But I would find it highly unlikely that AMD would use patented technology inside of their hardware. Even for a dedicated customer , it would mean they can't leverage that chip for other customers in other ways.

No, but it does provide precedent of Sony IP appearing in/on/with AMD hardware counter to eastmen's thinkings. Hence it's not impossible this is a Sony only tech to appear in Sony only hardware, maybe licensed or agreed to be shared in AMD GPUs?

That said, it strikes me as too generic and also too obvious, something the other IHVs are already looking into. Is AMD really not working on a RT acceleration system? Isn't this patent kinda the obvious sort of next-step beyond including RT functions in the shaders? Or is this a branch that the IHVs weren't considering? Or has Sony just got in with a virtual patent ahead of them waiting until they had a working prototype before patenting?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back