New NVIDIA WHQL Windows Vista x86/x64 drivers

Discussion in 'Beyond3D News' started by Arun, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

NVIDIA has released <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_96.85.html" target=_b3dout>x86</a> and <a href="http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_96.85.html" target=_b3dout>x64</a> WHQL Windows Vista drivers, presented as version 96.85, and delivering improvements compared to the previous 96.33 ForceWare release in terms of application compatibility and performance.

Further testing reveals, however, that forcing quality settings in the control panel doesn't seem to work for Direct3D applications, where only the in-game options are functional. On the other hand, OpenGL games seem to operate correctly in this area. This behaviour has been tested in several titles, including Quake 4 and GTA: San Andreas, and thus the day for proper benchmarking of Vista's gaming performance doesn't seem to have arrived just yet. It should finally be noted that this driver's installation requires Windows Vista RC2.

2. INKster

Veteran

Vista RC2 already had FW 96.77 (without the CP) built-in.

3. Rodéric

Rodéric a.k.a. Ingenu
    Moderator Veteran

Nice thanks, I have problems with current drivers. (RC2 x64)

4. Arun

Arun Unknown.
    Moderator Legend Veteran

Right, the latest version that was available on NVIDIA's website was 96.33 though, and the version that came with RC2 didn't have a control panel as you said, but also couldn't run OpenGL apps out of the box. But yeah, technically, I guess there was a newer "official" version out there :)

Uttar

5. ector

Newcomer

Both of them have terrible artifacting in Oblivion for me (RC2 x64). Some other games I have tried work just fine.