"New" Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) [2021-07-06]

Nintendo usually announces new handheld hardware earlier in the year. Feb-March release dates. I think it's so they don't ruin holiday soles for their older hardware. I always found it strange the people don't get upset about it, because if little Johnny gets a 3ds in December and the new 3ds XL comes out in February (like it did in the west)... But I don't think there has ever been any real backlash to it.

Nintendo usually announces new handheld hardware earlier in the year. Feb-March release dates. I think it's so they don't ruin holiday soles for their older hardware. I always found it strange the people don't get upset about it, because if little Johnny gets a 3ds in December and the new 3ds XL comes out in February (like it did in the west)... But I don't think there has ever been any real backlash to it.

its Nintendo. "common sense" doesn't really work.

Is your common sense comment to imply that Nintendo's history of launching a handheld console in the earlier months of the year won't hold, or that consumers common sense is lacking when being sold items during the holiday season are rendered obsolete (perceptively) in a few months doesn't generate a backlash.

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model)

$350 @ October 8

Meet the newest entry to the Nintendo Switch family! Nintendo Switch (OLED model) brings the versatility of the Nintendo Switch experience with a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, and more. Nintendo Switch (OLED model) releases on October 8.

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/oled-model/

The new system features a vibrant 7-inch OLED screen, a wide adjustable stand, a dock with a wired LAN port, 64 GB of internal storage, and enhanced audio.

photo02

stand

any idea what the OLED subpixel it use? i assume RGB? as its 720p, RGGB would results in stuff (harder to read texts, mesh-like visual, etc)

Lol so there's no chip upgrade after all, just an OLED and call it a day?

This must be the most Nintendodo thing that Nintendo has ever done.
If you assumed that they would introduce upgraded internals, yes.
It’s simply a refreshed Switch, improved in a number of small ways.
My hope is that when they do launch a new console, they’ll move to a significantly better process. They are strongly limited by the power draw allowed in portable mode, so if they want to move the performance needle significantly, they really should go for something along the lines of TSMC 5nm (or better). Also, memory bandwidth remains a sticking point.

Pretty bummed as I was hoping to jump into switch ecosystem with a real h/w upgrade. It's been almost 5 years. I guess I'll hold out a few more years for pro or 2 model.

I wonder if they had problems securing fab capacity at the smaller processes to produce enough new chips for this year.

So they decide to launch anyways with just a screen upgrade?

Anyone pronouncing the new model name as Nintendo Switch OLD instead of O-Led?

I wonder if they had problems securing fab capacity at the smaller processes to produce enough new chips for this year.

This is like they did with the 3ds. They had that upgraded model for a year and then the switch hit. I think this is the same thing. They refreshed the switch and next year the real switch replacement hits

Honestly I think they looked at how well their current bargain bin hardware sold in 2020-2021 and just cancelled the whole thing.

They salvaged the OLED screen because why not (they're charging +$50 over current street prices for what should be a <$10 difference in better speakers + oled + ethernet connector), and now they'll just try to drag their 2015 Tegra for as long as they can.

Back