New Nintendo DS model this year

Any mention about internal memory/memory card use?
None, the article is scarce of real info (Nikkei is an economist paper), the article mentions competition with cellphones. IMO it should have something to store pics and music, but a micro SD card interface is also possible. It seems Nintendo is getting more serious about market expansion and growth against iPod and PSP.

It better have better screens and perhaps bigger screens. However i hope they put out a new system with better graphics soon

It's interesting that they decided on a camera instead of the tilt sensor which they wanted to put inside the original DS design but couldn't due to cost. So are they going to release another version of the DS with a tilt sensor or are they saving that for DS2.0?

I think the relative "rushing" of this to market has more to do with trying to curb the ubiquity of piracy devices, than with competing with cellphones.

It's interesting that they decided on a camera instead of the tilt sensor which they wanted to put inside the original DS design but couldn't due to cost.

Tilt sensors and cameras cost peanuts compared to the ripoff that is the DS nowadays at what, $129?

I think the current DS has achieved near market saturation in Japan at this point, and combined with the fact that the PSP has been outselling it this year, I'm sure Nintendo will be looking at ways to get a hold of even more consumer money. ;)

Do we even know if this is reliable? I know it's Nikkei the Japanese equivalent of the Wallstreet Journal, but I find it hard to believe that they would get such a scoop. Plus, Nintendo's having a conference on Oct 2nd, I can't believe they would let something like this leak so easily. If it's leaked, Nintendo should know by now and request to have it removed.

Plus, SD card support? Isn't that helping piracy?

Doesn't the R4 already allow the DS to support SD? :|

/me runs!

I hope this leak is real, my daughter's pink DS is about ready to die and she's excited about getting one with a camera now. :rolleyes:

Do we even know if this is reliable? I know it's Nikkei the Japanese equivalent of the Wallstreet Journal, but I find it hard to believe that they would get such a scoop. Plus, Nintendo's having a conference on Oct 2nd, I can't believe they would let something like this leak so easily. If it's leaked, Nintendo should know by now and request to have it removed.

Plus, SD card support? Isn't that helping piracy?

Just having a sd card slot wouldnt really help piracy as all the flashcards have extra hardware in them which is needed to actually make use of the SD card.

I dont really see the point of building in a camera, the DS doesnt really have OS functions that would use that and I dont think it would be that interresting for games given you got like 100million people that dont have it.

The SD slot could make sense. Nintendo just released their movie/music player which basically is like all the flashcards (only without the games option ofcourse) so I suppose it wouldnt be that strange to build that in.

I dont really see the point of building in a camera, the DS doesnt really have OS functions that would use that and I dont think it would be that interresting for games given you got like 100million people that dont have it.
I presume OS functions would be added ;) And the idea might not be for game support, other than Nintendo titles, but just to have a simple camera so people feel happy using their DS to take snapshots (and then edit them with the stylus?) instead of the mobile, saving pics to SD card?

I think the current DS has achieved near market saturation in Japan at this point, and combined with the fact that the PSP has been outselling it this year, I'm sure Nintendo will be looking at ways to get a hold of even more consumer money. ;)

The DS is back to selling 60k a week. It's slowed, but it's still outselling anything by a factor of 2.

I presume OS functions would be added ;) And the idea might not be for game support, other than Nintendo titles, but just to have a simple camera so people feel happy using their DS to take snapshots (and then edit them with the stylus?) instead of the mobile, saving pics to SD card?

But how usefull would that be? I mean, how much people would care about eddeting their own pictures? the GBpocket already had this camera including eddeting software, I dont think that was really big. Ofcourse you'd now have alot more options and better quality but still. And for taking photo's its pretty much useless given just about every phone has a camera these days and that is probably faster and easier to handel for a quick picture than a DS.

It's perfect for sending a picture of your penis to complete strangers!

That is also one of the reasons I can't believe it's real. Nintendo's always super careful about this stuff. Well, I guess they can lock picture sending to people on your friend codes.

Today Nintendo have announced "Nintendo DS i" at the Nintendo Conference 2008 Fall.
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081002/nintendo.htm

It's out in Nov. 1 in Japan for 18,900 yen.

• two 3.25-inch screens (NDS ones are 3-inch)
  • SD card slot
  • two 0.3M-pixel cameras inside and outside. DSi can do face recognition and users can write on face pics or check how people can get along with by comparing their faces.
  • AAC music playback. Can change pitch/playback speed by a touch-pen
  • Supports podcast
  • 12% (2.6mm) thinner than NDS
  • GBA slot removed

nint01.jpg

nint03.jpg

nint05.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a must buy assuming: 1.) MP3 playback is also supported. 2.) SD slot supports SDHC. 3.) Comes to the US. This would make the absolute best gaming, music, quick browser device ever. Two 3.25" touch screens... awesome.

I presume that's two 3 megapixel cameras? It'll be interesting how much use they get. And does it say two touchscreens? That'd alienate the current DS market. One's post doensn't mention the addition of a second touchscreen.

Back