New Low in Politics

Newcomer
This thread is in regards to the democratic campaigning going on.

#1 The presidental hopefulls. Calling Bush a miserable failure on the war on terrorism. Calling him a gang leader. etc. They honestly believe the ticket to victory here is slamming Bush publicly. I think it shows a complete lack of class and respect. All they do is complain and whine etc... But no one offers a better solution. I listened to the Ex-mayor ED (cant remeber his last name) of New York a democrat I might add, and he just slammed the party for this type of behavior... Where are the democrats of old.. like JFK.? It seems like democrats of turned to a policy of instilling feat instead .

#2. Recall race. What is up with Grey Davis's comments about Arnie.. You cant be governor if you can't pronounce the state properley.. I have yet to hear an apology on that one. If it was a republican the liberals would have been up in arms.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,

P.S. A little back ground on me since no one knows me... I like the republican's fiscal policies. Republican's war policies. Republicans oil policy ( I am an engineer in the oil industry) And I lean more to the left on social issues.. Gay rights, minority rights, pro choice (against abortion but am pro choice). etc.

That's nothing :) The Ontario Provincial election is getting seriously nasty... get this:

TORONTO — The key issue of public health care finally surfaced on the campaign trail to the Ontario election on Friday, but was quickly eclipsed by a particularly bizarre Tory [Progressive Conservative] slur against Liberal Leader Dalton McGuinty.

"Dalton McGuinty: He's an evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet," said a release from Eves's campaign headquarters, e-mailed to news organizations across the province on Friday morning in the latest, and oddest, Tory attack on the Liberal leader.

The Tory insult came after more than a week of labelling McGuinty as being everything from anti-children to anti-senior citizen and anti-home ownership for young families -- but never anti-kitten.

Eves was unapologetic.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1063381327614_58790527///?hub=Canada

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sticky said:
They honestly believe the ticket to victory here is slamming Bush publicly. I think it shows a complete lack of class and respect. All they do is complain and whine etc...

A certain amount of criticism of the incumbant is reasonable...but I agree...the Dems are just taking it to an absurd level.

#2. Recall race. What is up with Grey Davis's comments about Arnie.. You cant be governor if you can't pronounce the state properley..

And the ironic thing is, Arnie's pronunciation of California is more accurate with resepect to its Spanish origins than Davis' is. ;)

My personal opinion is that the Democrats doing this will certainly score points with the ideological left and Bush haters, but it will tend to alienate the center.

The opinion polls showed a reasonable support for Bush's job perfromance (50-60% approval rating). If I thought he was doing an OK job and somebody was being vitriolic about how bad a job he was doing, I'd begin to question whether that person and I shared enough values to for me to give my vote to him.

However, if support for Bush wanes, then it won't be as off-putting.

Or so says I.

can the democrats compete simply by being decent and honest? Why would anyone respect these characterless individuals.

Legion: Honest?

But wait.. I thought that the right wing were the liars.. hmm? Al Franken seems to think so! Lying liars!

Miserable failure? That'd be Dick Gephardt's comments.

Gang Leader? Sounds like something Al Sharpton or Denis Kucinich would say.

Don't attribute the comments of basic non-entities in the presidential race to the entire field. ;)

As for solutions, Howard Dean and John Kerry have offered myriad solutions to the problems the country faces today. Though frankly I like Dean more because of his stance on Civil Unions. Other than those two, everyone else is pretty much out of the running. Yes, including Lieberman.

As for the recall race, that's simply a farce in and of itself on both sides. I don't even pay attention anymore, nor care who wins.

p.s.: Russ, that'd be upper 40s/low 50s these days, and getting better all the time from my perspective. ;)

Blade said:
Legion: Honest?

But wait.. I thought that the right wing were the liars.. hmm? Al Franken seems to think so! Lying liars!

Brings back memories of the Clintons and their "vast right wing conspiracy" mantra.

I support the "work for the money you earn" plan so i suppose sharpton would hate me to.

How about Arny apologizing for lying about not accepting special interest money cuz he was rich enough on Leno? He didnt apologize only said corporate donations werent special interest... I havent heard as laughable a political comment in years...

I dont think this democratic campaign is any dirtier than the one republicans ran in 96 or 2000... they are getting dirtier on both sides each passing election.

WE Dont Need a "Movie Star" in Sacramento.
WE Dont Need that "Texas JackAss" and his friends in the White House either.

pax said:
I dont think this democratic campaign is any dirtier than the one republicans ran in 96 or 2000... they are getting dirtier on both sides each passing election.

First Pax aren't you from brazil?

2nd I agree though just strange that you would bother to keep up with stuff here.

I think politics is getting pathetic, I think people are getting way to angry. People attack one another on forums here all the time based on political affiliations. No one is interested in thinking (not yous guys, the politicians). The general populace feels like they have no control in the system and this breeds apathy and a lack of voting, which creates a situation where the pols don't have to respond to their constituents and can be more responsive to lobbyists, which in turn furthers the cycle.

Everyone who can go vote whoever you vote for. I remember when McCain (who I would have voted for btw) dropped out that was what he said something like "I know a lot of young people have gotten excited... make sure you vote whoever is I don't care just do it" you get the idea

Plus

the Lagwagon song stop whining=voting is a liscence to complain if you don't vote you consciously are deciding not to take the only option you have and therefore have no right to complain.

LOL I wish the chicks are hotter down there... and so is the weather. Im Canadian and yes its normal for people outside the US to be interested in us politics if only because my canadian sat tv 90% us content...

And Im a news\docu junkie so sorry cant help it... ;)

Dude pladeaux tho we do need more and smart liberals in here (to balance things out a bit ;)...) crossposting is not cool... speaking as a liberal :) .

Y gee thx u Pax. But Im not a liberal just a Democrat and a Bush hater from before he even won (cough) the election. Oh, and I dont consider myself all that smart... intelligent maybe, and alot pissed off, but with an IQ of 136 and penchant for math, im sure there are plenty more smarter posters here than me. BTW,,,, just before the 2004 national elections, look for all aspects of the economy take a big jump up and help save the white house for Bush, then after the election watch it drop like a stone again till 2008. (pfft)

What do you expect that jump up to be caused by? Def spending? I expect stagnation or abouts myself... specially unemployment wise... I dont think itll get much worse between now and then or better...

pax said:
How about Arny apologizing for lying about not accepting special interest money cuz he was rich enough on Leno? He didnt apologize only said corporate donations werent special interest... I havent heard as laughable a political comment in years...

Looks like Arny's going to fit right in. ;)

Pladeaux said:
BTW,,,, just before the 2004 national elections, look for all aspects of the economy take a big jump up and help save the white house for Bush, then after the election watch it drop like a stone again till 2008. (pfft)
I guess you havent heard of the recovery that we are in, jobless as it is. The economy is picking steam up, and should start creating jobs (hopefully) within 6 months. I have great faith that things are changing for the better.

BTW presidents are given too much credit/blame for the economy. They have alot less influence than is lead to believe. Hell I would say that Jack Welch (while ceo of GE) had more influence than Bush or Clinton in the state of the economy.

just my 2 cents.
epic

Back