New install doesn't remember settings?

D3v0ur3r

Regular
Question that hopefully someone can help with pretty easy.

I just reformatted 1 of my sons comps & for some odd reason the computer is refusing to remember the desktop settings of "Show Quick Launch" & arrangement of desktop icons. Anyone know a quick fix?

Windows XP Home.

Last edited by a moderator:
This describes my issue to a "T". However the person that had the same issue as I didn't find a proper fix other then to create another user account.

"After running auto cleaning with RegSeeker, my quick launch disapears after restarting. My desktop icons also shuffle into a strange order. I can right click on the start bar, re-check 'quick launch' and it comes back fine -- I can also rearrange the icons they way I like -- but without fail, after a reboot, the quick launch is gone and icons shuffled."

http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44741

Actually I had the comp 100% done with all updates security & so on. Then after a random reboot. Suddenly I get this quick launch & d-top icon issue on only 1 comp out of 7 total in the house. I just reformatted both my boys comps which are identical & only one got the issue. After blowing all day today on reformats & trying to figure out this one lousy issue. I finally said fuck it & did what the guy did in the link I provided. Just made a new account on the same comp & presto! All was fixed.

What a totally infuriating issue........

Back