New Headset

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
My trusty Logitech G930 wireless headset broke in half lol. I would like something basically identical but I'm not sure on a couple things.

Will a bluetooth headset perform as well as the G930? My PC has a fairly modern bluetooth card.

Does the headset need surround virtualization? My G930 has Dolby 7.1 virtualization which works very well but I think nowadays you can get Atmos for headphones for like 12 bucks. Does this work in all games?
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dolby-access/9n0866fs04w8?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I can't give any recommendations other than just make sure the headset and Bluetooth on pc have aptx LL.

But rtings recommends SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless, and it doesn't have aptx LL. so for gaming, you'll need to use the USB wireless to get low latency.

The Bluetooth only supports SBC. SBC usually laggy and sounds bad. I say usually because there are exceptions that allows it to have low enough latency and good audio quality but too many potential headache. While with aptx LL, it will just work in low latency and good audio quality.

Personally I wouldn't recommend bluetooth headset for gaming. There are 2 problem and the solution is available, but not common. 1st problem is making sure that your PC can use low latency codec. I believe you'll end up needing to buy a special audio only bluetooth dongle that is basically a usb soundcard. 2nd problem is to be able to use the mic while having high quality audio, which is not available if you use a standard profile/codec. Normally, your device will connect as either headphone or headset (they will connect as both but only one of them can be active). On headset mode, the audio quality is massively reduced (it is designed for phone voice talk), so not usable for gaming.
If you only care about audio output and have other solution for mic (like you have a dedicated mic), then you need to make sure that both dongle and headphone can use low latency codec (like AptX-LL). If you want high audio quality with mic at the same time, you need to make sure that both dongle and headset can use faststream codec.
Honestly, It's better to just buy a wireless headset with its own dongle, thus you are 100% sure that it will work VS going to the bluetooth route. Having said that, if you do go to the bluetooth route, you can use your headphone/headset with another device that has bluetooth in it.

Bluetooth does have a new standard coming up, which is LE Audio (LE probably comes from Low Energy), which is announced earlier this year at CES. It doesn't explicitly says that it will provide high quality audio output and input at the same time, but I'm pretty sure they include it. They aren't that stupid... right?

Personally I wouldn't recommend bluetooth headset for gaming. There are 2 problem and the solution is available, but not common. 1st problem is making sure that your PC can use low latency codec. I believe you'll end up needing to buy a special audio only bluetooth dongle that is basically a usb soundcard. 2nd problem is to be able to use the mic while having high quality audio, which is not available if you use a standard profile/codec. Normally, your device will connect as either headphone or headset (they will connect as both but only one of them can be active). On headset mode, the audio quality is massively reduced (it is designed for phone voice talk), so not usable for gaming.
If you only care about audio output and have other solution for mic (like you have a dedicated mic), then you need to make sure that both dongle and headphone can use low latency codec (like AptX-LL). If you want high audio quality with mic at the same time, you need to make sure that both dongle and headset can use faststream codec.
Honestly, It's better to just buy a wireless headset with its own dongle, thus you are 100% sure that it will work VS going to the bluetooth route. Having said that, if you do go to the bluetooth route, you can use your headphone/headset with another device that has bluetooth in it.

Bluetooth does have a new standard coming up, which is LE Audio (LE probably comes from Low Energy), which is announced earlier this year at CES. It doesn't explicitly says that it will provide high quality audio output and input at the same time, but I'm pretty sure they include it. They aren't that stupid... right?
I noticed that with a BT headset that my brother has. When I connected it as headphones to my PC the audio was fine but the mic didn't work. When I connected it as a BT headset the mic worked but the audio was unbearably bad. Single channel 8 bit (!) sound means you can't even tell wtf is going on.

Funny thing is, when I plugged in a $8 USB BT adapter and connected it to that I could use both at the same time. WTF my $50 WiFi/BT card is worse than the $8 USB adapter? I bought them at the same time and tried to get the latest version for both.

I can't give any recommendations other than just make sure the headset and Bluetooth on pc have aptx LL.

But rtings recommends SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless, and it doesn't have aptx LL. so for gaming, you'll need to use the USB wireless to get low latency.

The Bluetooth only supports SBC. SBC usually laggy and sounds bad. I say usually because there are exceptions that allows it to have low enough latency and good audio quality but too many potential headache. While with aptx LL, it will just work in low latency and good audio quality.
Okay that headset is $320 on Amazon. I paid $100 for my G930 (on sale but still). I don't want to spend triple to replace something I got for $100 like 5 years ago.

What about this?
SteelSeries Arctis 7
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-...:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=pc&sr=1-1

Seems pretty comparable to the G930.

Last edited:
Okay that headset is $320 on Amazon. I paid $100 for my G930 (on sale but still). I don't want to spend triple to replace something I got for $100 like 5 years ago.

What about this?
SteelSeries Arctis 7
https://www.amazon.com/SteelSeries-Lossless-Wireless-Headset-Headphone/dp/B07FZVXS8H/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&fst=as:eek:ff&qid=1586999665&refinements=p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=pc&sr=1-1

Seems pretty comparable to the G930.
That thing doesn't have Bluetooth, only proprietary USB wireless tho :(

Back