New hair simulation demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Some hair simulation using R2VB. Not the most well shaped head, but bare with my artistic skills. ;) (Oh, and the math is easier with a balloon too). It's using R2VB so it's ATI only at this point. Should run on Radeon 9500 and up.

hair.jpg

Download here

Indeed. Pretty cool.

I really like alot of the R2VB stuff. Simple as the presentation may be, I still think it's awesome.

Of course, I could be biased. Primarily because my aging 9800Pro actually runs it.

:D

So will there be a vertex fetch version for us poor nV users? Could be quite a bit slower, huh?

Probably a fair bit slower. Not sure how much. Chances are the difference is bigger than with the InfiniteTerrainII demo. In that demo I could easily compute the texture coordinate with a single instruction from already available data. In this demo all data comes from the R2VB render target. In order to get this to work with VTF I'd need to add a texture coordinate stream as well.

What am I missing? I tried this and the infinite terrain demo and neither would work. They both said the demo requires r2vb support. I'm using an x800xl. Any suggestions?

jjayb said:
What am I missing? I tried this and the infinite terrain demo and neither would work. They both said the demo requires r2vb support. I'm using an x800xl. Any suggestions?

Purchase an X1x00 Series part.

jjayb said:

It should work as it apparently works on a r9800. Maybe you have a flawed driver installation.

PC graphics with a single video card or chip in a single machine isn't at a point in time where it should be seeking film computer-generated quality.

Ahem.

That said, the hair "performs" nicely despite having to rest on a hugely disappointing pedestal. :)

I have found out Humus works for ATI. Is that what you do at ATI, Humus, "pushing the envelope" of the latest ATI video cards? You have an abundance of demos at your site that I wish I have the time to check out!

Hopefully this is not a selfportrait! :p

Btw, the way the strands feel on the floor suggested this might be cool as a cloth demo too. Nice work Humus, as always.

You woulda thought someone at ATI had a Ruby head Humus could borrow, eh?

Haven't tried it out yet...

Jawed

Can't you ask Ati to hire an artist to help you?

I wanted to say this to you before but only now I feel justified enough:
"Never let the coder do the art"

No offence :)

Wow! ~100fps at 1280*768 full screen on my laptops MR9700! I thought I was too far behind the curve 3D wise to run your demos now days.

Very nice looking hair. Is there a way to add and subtract the amount of hair the ballon head has? Also changing its length could be fun.

Ali

Back