New dual-core Xeon power consumption

:oops::oops::oops:

wtf? AND its IDLE. Time to jack into my neighbors power and leech. No more stealing cable, just power.

Something seems up with those numbers, especially with the small difference between full load and idle. It looks like speed-step isn't working the way it should, because single core P4s don't have that kind of power profile.

The load stuff is something interesting, though going by the single-core numbers it's not out of possibility as far as I know. If anyone can find critiques or corroborating evidence about the high draw, I'd like to see it.

The lowest frequency for SpeedStep in the P4 (and equivalent Xeons) is 2.8 GHz. Or rather the lowest multiplier is 14, which translates to 2800 MHz if the bus speed is 200 (x4) MHz.

if it was just power, Xeons would still have a chance.... but Opterons kill them in EVERY benchmark.... wiping the floor with them...

I'd like to see another review..
The performance is simply laughable coupled with the power consumption.
Even at 1.8 ghz the opterons destroy the xeons in apache.
However price is one thing to consider- same deal with the single cpu dual cores.

i think what is striking is that at the same frequency these new dual core xenon's hog almost 2x as much power and do 20-80% less work. How about that for a losing bet. It used to be [with the Axp vs P4 debate] that the Axp's would consume more power per clock and P4's would clock more per watt, and performance per watt was almost at parity. Now it is just rediculous. AMD deserves #1, they've really earned it.

Amazing thing is where I work we will most likely get these POS machines. :rolleyes: I tried to order 2 Quad machines at the start of this year but after about 1 week of crap we ended up with Xeon's. I wanted Opteron's but we use HP and Dell in the wintel space. Damn unix geeks are getting Sun AMD 64 machines for both servers and workstations.

Really! If Dell and HP were really following a market economy, AMD would take a large piece of their offering pie. Where are Dell's A64 based systems? How can they stick to Xeon's after this kind of watt/performance disparity? Yikes.

pakotlar said:
How can they stick to Xeon's after this kind of watt/performance disparity? Yikes.
They wager their money on companies being sheeple that buy intel because it's "safe" and intel being intel and thus always "best". And on intel giving them good discounts. And probably also on providing a good product, heh...

Yeh - when I was looking at the HP sites there was no mention of the opteron machines(That I could find). I had heard they were available so was why I was enquiring (I think I read it on the inquirer at the time). I don't usually buy server hardware so I am not up on the whole process. There are about 2500 servers in the various environments. Semi loads of equipment dump out every week at one data centre and it's all HP Intel machinery despite the big lead in performance per watt - the new intel metric for evaluating processor performance funnily enough. I guess this is what the AMD lawsuit is about.

Guden Oden said:
They wager their money on companies being sheeple that buy intel because it's "safe" and intel being intel and thus always "best". And on intel giving them good discounts. And probably also on providing a good product, heh...
It's more the latter. Intel gives Dell extremely good discounts that AMD couldn't hope to match. However, Dell will build AMD servers as special orders.

IgnorancePersonified said:
Yeh - when I was looking at the HP sites there was no mention of the opteron machines(That I could find). I had heard they were available so was why I was enquiring (I think I read it on the inquirer at the time). I don't usually buy server hardware so I am not up on the whole process. There are about 2500 servers in the various environments. Semi loads of equipment dump out every week at one data centre and it's all HP Intel machinery despite the big lead in performance per watt - the new intel metric for evaluating processor performance funnily enough. I guess this is what the AMD lawsuit is about.

HP's Opterons are in the DL series servers. The more normal ML series are still all Intel. And Since where I work, we don't have a SAN or network based backups, we're stuck buying servers with individual tape drives.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantdl585/index.html
There's an Opteron HP. It's a start.

Yes, those models were around at the beginning of the year, just not with the dual core processors. I looked into them for where I work, but until we move to a centralized backup system, the lack of tape drives make them not an option. It's really sad, the Opteron is a much better database server compared to the Xeon.

Back