New demo

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
Since AndyTX is giving me some competition on the demo front I'll have to fight back with a demo of my own. :p My demo may not offer as much in terms of "new and cool techniques" but is mostly some eye-candy; however, it has a couple of interesting features anyway. One is a the shader constant based instancing, which I haven't seen anyone implement in OpenGL, only the pseudo-instancing based on passing vertex attributes with immediate mode functions. The other interesting thing is an improved wood shader over what you can find in for instance RenderMonkey's standard workspaces. The major improvement is that it doesn't suffer from aliasing at a distance.

The demo looks like this and features automatically built domino tracks and the toppling of it:
domino.jpg

It should run on Radeon 9500 and up and GeForce FX 5200 and up.

Download here as usual.

Neat, I like it! Runs really well too. Good stuff :)

I like the idea of dominos as well... in particular with a bit more complexity it would make an excellent screen saver I think.

Theres no dots on the dominoes :(

seriously as andy said this would make a cool screensaver

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly works well enough, but I don't know I'd want it as a screen saver! Like to give me motion sickness/induce an epileptic fit.

Cool demo!!
But I got only 2fps on my Mobility V5200 on my laptop :cry: May there be anything wrong since the driver on my hp is rather old?

Theres no dots on the dominoes :(

Well, most of the dominos I played with as a kid never had any dots. They weren't made to play the game with, but rather to make domino tracks.

Cool demo!!
But I got only 2fps on my Mobility V5200 on my laptop :cry: May there be anything wrong since the driver on my hp is rather old?

Possibly. How old is the driver?

Possibly. How old is the driver?

Thank you for kindly asked!! My driver is version 8.223.4.0 and the CAT is version 1.2.2253.3538. I cannot find the way to update my Mobility FireGL driver since last year as Hp never did up the version :cry: The laptop in question is NW8440 with Merom T7400 and 2GB memory.

How do I make it do way longer domino runs?

I'm getting between 200 & 300fps on my X1900GT with 6*AA

Hmm, I just get a totally black screen - even F1'ing to the menu doesn't show anything.

WinXP, Athlon FX-60, 8800 GTX, 97.92 drivers.

Thank you for kindly asked!! My driver is version 8.223.4.0 and the CAT is version 1.2.2253.3538. I cannot find the way to update my Mobility FireGL driver since last year as Hp never did up the version :cry: The laptop in question is NW8440 with Merom T7400 and 2GB memory.

Well, that's a quite old driver. Try downloading a more recent one and use this tool to modify it so you can install it on the laptop:
http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

How do I make it do way longer domino runs?

I'm getting between 200 & 300fps on my X1900GT with 6*AA

Well, you could edit the source. It's in the arrangeTiles() function. Currently it's placing 512 tiles per track. The algorithm isn't exactly optimized, so if you say double the tile count it'll probably take four times as long. But I guess you could increase it a fair amount without much trouble.

Could you briefly describe that? :D

Well, for instance the wood shader that's provided in RenderMonkey computes the rings mathematically from the position. As you go farther away the rings get smaller and smaller on the screen. At some point this introduces aliasing as you get fewer and fewer pixels per ring. So instead I look up a noise value in a texture and compute the rings from that. As you get further away the noise gets smoothed out due to mipmapping, which effectively rids it of all aliasing.

AFAIK, you have to recompile it.

Yes. There's no mechanism for altering the amount of tiles built into the executable. It's hard-coded to 512. To change it a recompile is neccesary with a new value.

Back