New computer traditions?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Mobius1aic, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

Finished with my new desktop build today, and as with every new computer I get, I have my slew of traditions that I do along with my file transfering (notably music) and Firefox installing.

One of my gaming traditions is I always install Far Cry before any other game and give it a go to check the performance. Just tried it out, ran like a knife through butter at max settings @ 1080p on my Radeon 4670 :smile: I've been doing it since I got my first computer in 2005, since FC was the first PC game I ever bought, it's been the first game installed to every computer I've gotten since then. If it runs FC nicely, it's good enough for me!:wink:

What specific things (traditional wise, not practical) do you guys do when you get your new puppy rolling?

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well the first thing I do is resolve DMA and IRQ conflicts between the Sound Card, Video Card, Game Port, Modem... Then I start moving as much as I can to upper memory...

Oh wait what year is this? :p

Regards,
    SB

3. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

First thing that i allways do after a win reinstall, its to install Total Commander. I cannot function without it :)

4. woundingchaney

Regular

First thing I do is plan a way to pay off my credit card.

5. Dresden

Dresden Celebrating Mediocrity
    Veteran

The first game I install on every new system is WoW, the hardest part is keeping track of all nine cd's. One usually finds its way in the box of another game. It usually sits there for about 3 months before I actually play it again. I always grab the most graphically demanding thing I own and install it, max it out and fool around with the settings for a bit. My last upgrade, which was over Christmas, Crysis was (and still is) the most demanding game on my shelf.

6. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

When I did my 3DMark06 bench I was surprised to get a really low score of about 6800 marks, I was kind of pissed off, I almost thought my card was possibly defective! Turned out the the memory bandwidth was starving the GPU (more so than I had thought it would). A prompt memory OC from 800 to 950 MHz fixed that. Now the score gets to just above 8000. Got to love benching :D

As far as utility goes though, I always install Firefox initially, along with transferring all my music, as I got to have something to listen to, along with various game patches and 3DMark06.

I love a new computer, especially a custom build. The scent of air coming out of one of the outbound air fans laced with the smell of new plastic, metal, and silicon always gets me excited :lol:

Oh, does anyone have any good suggestions for a power draw measuring utility?

7. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Most decent UPS devices can measure power draw and report it through software or a front mounted display.

But there doesn't exist a pure software based utility that can do such without some sort of hardware.

Regards,
    SB

8. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

there are cheap power outlet appliances with a segment LCD display, if you don't need an UPS, such as the kill-a-watt ; I've seen a similar device at 10€ once.

9. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Before it was to install Far Cry and give it a run, now it is Crysis.

10. swaaye

swaaye Entirely Suboptimal
    Legend

;)

I like to see how fast DosBox runs. heh

11. Blazkowicz

Legend Veteran

on XP, first are the windows relating things : configuring explorer.exe (no language bar, no left pane, status bar etc.); drivers and apps (firefox, media player classic, ffdshow etc.)

the gaming related tasks : forcing refresh rates according to the CRT monitor (1024x768 100Hz, etc.) ; installing nhancer, etc.
    then I still do a quake 3 benchmark :lol:. (timedemo 1 in console then run the demo). Most of the games are waiting on the D: partition, ready to be run without installing them.

12. Davros

Legend

13. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Dangerously Mirthful
    Legend

Max Payne shouldn't be on the doesn't work list, works fine for me after a reinstall. :???:

Great list though Davros, seriously. Thank you. I knew most of 'em already from experience, but it's great to have as a reference. :)

14. Davros

Legend

I have it down as crashes, could just be a driver conflict or something

15. Sxotty

Veteran

I install Urban Terror :) I used to play through some old games a bit in the older days, but eventually gave it up.

16. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

I usually overclock, run OCCT to check for stability, and then 3dmark 06 for bragging rights. Just broke 20k on my shiny new Q9550 @ 4GHz last week :)

17. Mobius1aic

Mobius1aic Quo vadis?
    Veteran

When I got the notebook I currently have, I told myself that I wouldn't OC it as that process helped to kill the last notebook I had, but I couldn't resist! O_p

Totally worth the framerate jump! And the Radeon 4670 in this newly built desktop of mine clearly benefits from an OC, especially of the memory since it's so bandwidth constrained. It went from ~7000 3DMarks stock memory to ~8000 with memory OC.