New computer - Questions about Intel CPUs

Scott_Arm

Legend
I haven't been following cpus much at all recently. I noticed that the core2 duo and core2 quad are both using LGA775. Will Penryn use the same socket? Even though the socket is the same, are there different chipsets for dual and quad core cpus? Do all of these CPUs have 64bit instruction sets, and is it even worth investing in 64bit Vista?

I was thinking of buying a core2 duo for now, and maybe upgrading the cpu to a core2 quad some time after penryn is out. Is Penryn going to need a new chipset, or will older motherboards with LGA775 sockets be able to support them with a BIOS update?

Deciding on a video card is a little more straightforward for me, as long as there isn't going to be some radical change to PCI express any time soon.

The chipsets are the same, the Core 2s are 64bit, 64bit OS is a must if you want to use a lot of memory and have apps that need it.

If you get a motherboard with a P35 chipset, it should be Penryn ready. Older chipsets like 965P can support Penryn with a BIOS update.

The upcoming X38 chispet from Intel will support PCI-Express 2.0

The chipsets are the same, the Core 2s are 64bit, 64bit OS is a must if you want to use a lot of memory and have apps that need it.

If you get a motherboard with a P35 chipset, it should be Penryn ready. Older chipsets like 965P can support Penryn with a BIOS update.

The upcoming X38 chispet from Intel will support PCI-Express 2.0

Hmmm, maybe I'll wait for an X38 board with DDR2 support. Thanks for the info. You pretty much nailed everything I wanted to know.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but I thought my question would be appropriate:

What is the micro-ATX equivalent :?: I was thinking of a system overhaul within my Antec Fusion. What are the speed grades being offered too?

I don't upgrade my pcs too often, except maybe the video card. Maybe once every two or two and a half years for the CPU. I do upgrade the video card more often, sometimes. Do you think it's worth waiting for the X38 to have a pci-express2 slot? I'm usually not as concerned with RAM and CPU, because most of the time you get more out of upgrading your video card, at least for games.

Back