new comp!

Well, I finally got the last of my new hardware in yesterday ( http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7359 ), so I built my comp last night!

First of all, before I get to how blazingly fast this box is, I'd like to give a thumbs up to Intel Engineers and a thumbs down to Microsoft. Those of you who have installed one of Intel's new heatsinks know that the mounting design is, quite possibly, the most elegant mounting design seen on a heatsink (at least one I've encountered). Soooo cool! Unfortunately, I got screwed by both my own ignorance and MS. When setting up windows XP, I deleted my old 3 gig OS partition off of my 45 gig drive, and installed XP on a new 8 gig partition on my 120 gig drive. What I didn't know, was that Microsoft's partitioning tools actually view partitions in a slave/master way, such that if you delete the master partition, the other partitions are unavailable to you. So, I lost all of the data on my 45 gig drive. Not the end of the world, but certainly an annoyance.

Now, on to the system! I'm simply blown away by how blisteringly fast this system is! I downloaded both 3dmark programs for a quick little test. 3dmark03 came in around 5750 3dmarks with everything stock (Haven't gotten around to doing any vid card overclocking), but I couldn't get 3dmark01 to run. It said that I had the wrong version of DirectX installed. I have 9.0b, which was the latest release from the MS website. Any ideas?

Unfortunately, I couldn't stay up TOO late because I had to get to work in the morning, which is where I am now. I managed to run the Chimp demo, which was super cool, and I also ran the UT2k3 demo benchmark at 1280x960 4xAA 16xAF, and the botmatch bench came out above 60FPS :oops: It was perty too! :D

So, I'd say that I couldn't be happier with the performance of my system. I am able to run my crucial pc3200 cas 3 memory at 2.5,6,3,2 timings, which is nice and aggressive for "slow" ram. Does anyone have any recommendations for an overclocking utility for my 9800pro?

:D :D

Congratz with your new sys. :)

Sure you have build 330 of 3dm 2k1 ? If you have build 330, you need to instal Dx9 first, and then 3dm.

Rivatuner wil do the oc job.

Hey, how do you find the noise from the 3.0ghz retail heatsink/fan? I'm buying the exact same cpu and am wondering if I should pick up an aftermarket cooler. I'm not one for overclocking but I hate loud/noisey fans. How loud is it?

Johnny Rotten said:
Hey, how do you find the noise from the 3.0ghz retail heatsink/fan? I'm buying the exact same cpu and am wondering if I should pick up an aftermarket cooler. I'm not one for overclocking but I hate loud/noisey fans. How loud is it?

I'll be able to give you a better opinion once I put the side panels back on my case. I'm running this system in a Lian Li pc60 case, with the case fans set on high. I wasn't able to notice any discernable difference between the case fans set to low, medium OR high. The case fans themselves are pretty quiet, and the antec PSU is extremely quiet. The intel retail HSF has dynamic fan control, so when the comp is idle, the fan just gives off a slight hum. Noticable, but not distracting. When running the comp with a load, it gets more noticable, and perhaps a bit higher pitched. I don't know how much of an issue this will be with the side panels on, but the side panels could potentially compound the issue. Since they will hold heat in a bit, the fan will probably end up spinning faster more of the time. I'll certainly post here again once I put the panels on.

That said, even with the side panels off, the system in general is quieter than my old Athlon XP system. A lot of this is due, I believe, to the PSU, but I think some can be attributed to the processor HSF. I'm 95% sure companies like Dell use the intel brand HSFs, and they consider the "loudness," or lack thereof, of the pc to be a top priority. Also, I think that if you went with an aftermarket HSF with a large (at least 80mm) low rpm fan, it would DEFINITELY be more quiet than the Intel solution. Personally, I really don't have any complaints.

edit: I also installed the hsf using Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound, which according to Arctic Silver has a minimum of a 12 hour burn in period before it reaches full efficiency.

edit: I also installed the hsf using Arctic Silver Ceramique thermal compound, which according to Arctic Silver has a minimum of a 12 hour burn in period before it reaches full efficiency.

wow didn't know that... thanks. my new system almost the same basic specs as yours is arriving next week so I'll keep that in mind when I build and test it.

Kalbaz said:
wow didn't know that... thanks. my new system almost the same basic specs as yours is arriving next week so I'll keep that in mind when I build and test it.

I'm always nervous when installing the thermal compound. I hadn't used ceramique before, and MAN was it thick. I had a tough time spreading it around on the heatsink like they suggest. Further, they also just suggest that you put a "half a bb's worth" on the middle of the p4 heat spreader and then just mount the heatsink. They claim the pressure of the heatsink will spread the compound. This also made me slightly nervous, since "half a bb's worth" is so subjective, and I don't get to SEE the thermal compound covering the heat spreader.

That said, I haven't seen the CPU break 50 degrees C yet, and I've run the sandra burn in test for about 10 minutes (I know that's not much, but under 50c is a nice temp, IMO).

Lemme know if there's any other information you want/need!

Back