New comp....sans graphics cards...cant decide...ATI or Nvidia

suryad

Veteran
New comp....sans graphics cards...

Well here are the specs so far:
1. Tyan Thunder K8WE (S2895) motherboard
2. 2 x AMD Opteron 252s
3. CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) Unbuffered DDR 433 (PC 3500) Dual Channel Kit (2-3-2-6)
4. Thermaltake Tai-Chi VB5001SNA (with liquid cooling system)
5. 2 x Hitachi Ultrastar 15K147 147GB U320-SCSI 15000RPM Hard Drive w/16MB Buffer
6. 2 x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200 RPM 16 mb cache SATA II
7. Undecided on graphics cards
8. Undecided on display as well but leaning toward 30 inch Mac display

So far the price is pushing at a bit less than $5k sans the undecided items of course. This will be the final spec DCC machine if things work out....or else I will patiently wait for the Socket M2 of AMD's processors. What do you guys think so far? And suggesitons for GPUs are definitely accepted. There is no room for ATI in this machine as you can see since the Nvidia platform is just so mature and god knows when Crossfire enabled mobos and graphics cards will be released. Just deciding between a single Quadro 4500 or dual Geforce 7800 GTX 512 mb cards. Also regarding the processors I had considered getting the 275s but I think that will be reaching a point of diminishing returns with 2 of those dual cores. I do not think it is worth it.

Edit: Changed the title. Sorry if it was misleading...didnt think about it....need caffeine!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I am not thinking right, but isn't the Quadro the obvious choice? You want the Quadro drivers for DCC (this is what this model is for) and it also opens the door for Gelato.

Pardon my saying so, but the rest of the machine looks a bit on the expensive side to be installing a desktop "hack" board. Go DCC all the way unless you are absolutely sure that the GTX can be modded to use the DCC drivers etc.

Yes I was leaning towards Quadro myself. I have spoken to a number of DCC workstation manufacturers myself and while some recommended Quadros, some were also talking about GTXs. And previously I had posted asking about the differences between the GTX and the Quadro and from the replies I understood that the GTX would be good for stuff as long as I am not using wireframes IIRC.

Back