New CATALYSTS!

Discussion in '3D Hardware, Software & Output Devices' started by CATALYST MAKER, Sep 4, 2003.

1. nelg

Veteran

2. Ostsol

Veteran

Any chance we might get to hear how the shadows in UT2003 were accelerated? :D

I had always been thinking that it'd be nice if one could turn off FSAA during certain situations (such as render to texture) and get some performance back. According to the ARB_multisample spec, however, one can temporarily disable multisampling if it is one, but one will not receive any performance increase, merely aliasing. :(

3. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Much better to have the gains in actual gameplay than fly-bys though, right? :)

4. lwells

Newcomer

Having trawled through 10 pages of general crap on the Rage3D forum (yes, yes, I *like* punishment), the main whinge seems to be 16bit textures in OpenGL even when the slider is set to quality. Is there any ETA on when that might be fixed?

Cheers,
    Lucien.

5. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Okay, why add tripple buffering support?
    Who (other than myself) plays without AA?

Other than that confusion. Another excellent release. :)
    It most likely won't benefit me (it hasn't so far). Then again I tend to play older games and my performance in those games is always at my refreshrate. I never had any bugs in the first place so it won't fix up what doesn't exist. :)

6. sireric

Regular

It's been fixed in an internal build (not sure if it's the next or the one after that). The schedule for whql and verification is such that it takes a couple of weeks after we stop updates to a driver to get it out in Catalyst form. Sorry about this.

7. sireric

Regular

Not sure about your question. AA, regretfully, doesn't impart the benefits of tripple buffering regarding frame rate and vsync. There are three buffers, but only two render buffers; and you need three render buffers to get "tripple buffering". We've enabled it for OGL games. For D3D, it's much harder, since the driver doesn't control the surfaces (the OS does), as opposed to OGL.

8. Reverend

Banned

24MB for drivers... riiiight... I haven't checked out the new drivers (dial up.... lazy... expectedly so for dial up users which should be a consideration for IHVs... I hope this gets noticed) but I'm wondering why the control panel has such a large bump in size compared to older versions.

I'm in no hurry to download these latest drivers solely becasue of the size (and the fact that I'm on dial-up connection).

9. sireric

Regular

I think that the CP is an "all language" release, which adds a lot to the size.

10. stevem

Regular

Natoma, PM.

11. lwells

Newcomer

Cool, thanks for the info. Personally it doesn't bother as I don't own an ATI card.... yet :)

LW.

12. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

It was said before that such an option is a waste of time.
    That's why I ask what's the point of implementing a tripple buffer option if it's a waste of time and won't benefit 90% or more users?

When you use AA it would make a 3rd buffer and TB is useless unless you make a 4th buffer.

13. sireric

Regular

Well, it's useless for users who run without vsync. For those with vsync, your fps is limited to (vsync/n), with or without AA. If that doesn't bother you, cool. I'm not sure what percentage of users this will help, but from the various forums, it seems that quite a few users were asking for it.

Well, yes. But AA has just two render buffers, just like non-AA. AA also has a third buffer (for the final pixel colors), but that buffer cannot be used as a render buffer, so has no effect on the frame rate. With tripple buffering, when AA is enabled, you get 4 buffers total. Three render buffers (just like non-AA) plus the extra buffer (required for AA).

14. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

Nothing bothers me. :)

I was just confused.

Okay, I always use Vsync but was previously told that TB is completely useless when you use AA, that lead me to believe that as long as I had AA that there would be no 4th buffer and TB+Vsync enabled/disabled makes no difference.

15. sireric

Regular

I'll double check, but I believe that TB and AA are independant, and that you should get 4 buffers when doing TB+AA. Otherwise, it's sort of limited.

Though I do know that, before Cat 3.7, enabling AA did not give you TB effects (i.e. your fps should of been vsync/n -- It was for me).

16. K.I.L.E.R

K.I.L.E.R Retarded moron
    Veteran

I know it didn't give you the effects of TB when enabling AA. I thought that the R300 couldn't create a 4th buffer (tripple buffer enabled).

17. OpenGL guy

Veteran

Triple buffering is not necessarily a HW thing at all. The trouble with forcing triple buffering in D3D is that the driver doesn't own the surfaces so Bad Things (TM) can happen.

AA doesn't give triple buffering because you need both the AA buffer and a back buffer available at the same time, hence it's just like double buffering (assuming you only have two back buffers).

18. Bambers

Regular

Force triple buffering is good.

If it works (not tried yet, reformatted yesterday) then I'll finally be able to stick vsync on in HL mods and not get the framerate instantly crash down to 50 or 33 fps when I run into an area of a map with high r_speeds. :)

19. parhelia

Newcomer

Could this be the reason why there is such an improvement in OpenGL or is TB?

20. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

The drivers now come in two flavours. The new, 25mb, "broadband" version contains the drivers, the control panel, and the WDM capture driver. You can also get these three items as individual install files which are smaller for dialup users, but obviously each has it's own installer, but you may not need all three. It's all there on the download page if you go and have a look.