New card from ATi....... ;)

Sabastian

Regular
Hrm wouldn't mind having one of these.... ;)

board_front_big.jpg

Well nappe1 I don't know what to say to you. I haven't heard many complaints along the lines of what you are talking about there. I have seen plenty of reviews of the AIW Radeon cards and very few complaints with regards to specific features that are having driver issues. Now I am not claiming your evidence is false I am just saying I haven't been privy to these sorts of complaints much. Despite your woes I still would like to have one. Although financing that indeavour may be beyond my means. BTW sorry to hear about your negative experience but I know another whom has no problems with his AIW card. I will ask him specificaly abouth the SP/DIF and firewire issues you are talking about just to see if he has had any problems. Thanks for the heads up.

Sabastian: one thing is that I came from Matrox G400 which always worked flawless. whenever I installed beta or whatever driver version, it always worked like it should. all cards features were available on every driver set.

I was just talking with Ceiser Söze about AIW and it's problems I have had...

Sabastian: I am not saying that you shouldn't buy AIW... for you it could be a good bet for buck, but I am saying that my experients during these years might be a worth of consideration. I bought my AIW as soon as it came available in Europe (christmas 2000), so I have seen it's good and bad times. But things like I found out last tuesday aren't really something you want to see on AIW products... (see next chapter.)

I thought that it might be good idea to move some old VHS recordings to CD, because CD's take so much less space. I have done this before with quite few movies recorded from TV, so experinment wasn't really new. The real suprise was that when I launched TV-software for capturing, it had suddenly lost all Capture features: no time shifting, no capture setup, etc. Well, of course I had installed new Catalyst drivers and it's companion capture drivers since last start of TV-software so I decided it's the MMC/TV-software that needed to be reinstalled. I installed it and rebootted as adviced. The Result wasn't funny: now TV-software didn't start at all, but went Not responding state and soon caused BSOD & full lockup. at this moment I started to rip off my hairs. Next followed 2.5 hours session of installing, downloading and testing different drivers. at last I totally lost my temper, shutdown the computer and went to the my friends place to watch TV. (because my own caused a BSOD.) When I came back booted up and tried to launch TV, it worked again with capture features. And even today I don't have any idea what caused it problems.

That example and the next quote from ICQ has been pretty regular behaviour during my AIW time. I have practically changed everything else on my system while AIW have stayed, so even that doesn't leave me possibility to point anything else than AIW.
From ICQ
nappe1 (4:42 PM) :
one drivers are good for video editing, but you need a another set for gaming.

in the begining, even tv-out didn't work on every driver set.

Ceiser Söze (4:42 PM) :
They should release an additional driver for all the multimedia-stuff that works on top of the standard R9700-driver.
nappe1 (4:49 PM) :
well, they are doing it right now, but usually when they update standard catalyst set, you have to change capture drivers too, because old ones don't work anymore with new catalyst drivers. So it really didn't help things out, except you can / have to download 5 files (Catalyst, Capture, MMC, DVD update and Control Panel) instead of three. amounts of needed reboots after installation has raised from 1 to 3. After all this rumble I usually first start a TV-software just to find out A) it initializes over 2 minutes on first run after each reboot or B) locks up and causes Blue Screen. C) all Capture features and Capture setup is gone, which means uninstalling all ATI things and installing everything again...

got an idea why I am ready to use this card as Skeet shooting target??

nappe1 (4:54 PM) :
Can I quote part of our discussion at Beyond3D, please??

Ceiser Söze (5:08 PM) :
no problem :)

So, thanks, but no thanks AIW anymore for me. to someone who doesn't want to update their drivers to every official set (I gave up for betas a loooong time ago.) AIW will be fine. Just remember stay on official drivers coming on Installation CD and everything will work fine. (until you find a game that isn't working a fine with those. Then you have great possibility finding yourself from personal driver hell like I have been time to time.)

signed by: old "I-can't-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-one-of-those-AIW-Radeons-coming-before-january-2001" guy

P.S. Anyone wants to buy AIW Radeon 32MB AGP? 80 Euros plus postage and it's yours.

Nappe1 said:
signed by: old "I-can't-wait-to-get-my-hands-on-one-of-those-AIW-Radeons-coming-before-january-2001" guy

P.S. Anyone wants to buy AIW Radeon 32MB AGP? 80 Euros plus postage and it's yours.

lol yeah hopefully these problems you talk about are addressed with the AIW Radeon 9700.. BTW I would like one but will wait for some reviews of the card to make a decision. I am planning something different this time with my PC and I thought that the AIW Radeon 9700 would be the solution I was looking for. Again I will referance with my frend with regards to these issues you are talking about. Thanks again. My mind is not made up as of yet, also there is the matter of financing the scheme and getting it past my wife.

That's why I bought a TV card for watching and capturing TV and VHS.
Even so, ATI's TV wonder is not running smooth until the latest official driver (7.1). Before that I have to use reference VxD driver from Conexent. The new 7.1 official driver makes it possible for me to transfer to WinXP but I still have to use other programs instead of the official one for reliable capturing.

And about the latest beta driver... it replaced some DirectShow filters with English version (I am using a traditional Chinese version WinXP) and suddenly my system refused to boot. Furtunately WinXP keeps system settings whenever you try to install a non-WHQLed driver. Now I have learned to keep from beta drivers :)

Back