New Bench comming in hmmm78 hours...

Ah, so THIS is that secret goody Worm's been having fun teasing me telling me he's sending me. I have no idea what it is!

wow... a "real" (=gaming) Matrox card on tuesday? maybe they will have a 3dMark 2001 3rd Ed (Aka Matrox Edition ;) )

On 2002-03-10 18:38, mat wrote:
wow... a "real" (=gaming) Matrox card on tuesday? maybe they will have a 3dMark 2001 3rd Ed (Aka Matrox Edition ;) )

Mat: don't quote on me about that... it is just a rumour. :smile: and I said tech release. :smile: cards based on that tech may be released later.

Anyways, I am pretty sure that we will see something totally new before or at the GDC from matrox.

Nappe,

I was looking around the MURC to see if I could find anything relating to tech releases from Matrox, and didn't find anything...

Is this "next Tuesday" that you mentioned something that you heard, or something that you read somewhere?

I'm *very* interested in finding out anything about Matrox, as I've been following the happenings and/or goings-on @ the MURC for some years now (I, like many others, was totally dissapointed with the whole G800 debacle).

I think Nappe1 means March 19 by "next Tuesday".

This is the day GDC starts and it is beleived on MURC that Matrox is announcing their next card at GDC.

This belief is based on two things:
1. Matrox appears at GDC as an exhibitor.
2. Haig said "All yee faithfulls, let the countdown begin" on February 12.

OK...

I went to the "Crystal Ball" forum there, and found that thread with the "Countdown" subject...

There isn't anything in the way of substance, as far as a definitive timeline (is there such a thing as definitive?)

I know I read a couple of things @ the MURC which indicated a possible May tech-release (preview boards and/or just spec release), with a possible July-ish release.

But that doesn't seem to have anything to do with GDC...?

Hyp-X: check out that thread where Haig said about begin the countdown... there is few Old school MURCers comenting it in very interesting way...

Type Def:
well, I really don't want to comment more on that, because that would heat up too much my and some my sources butts ;) , but I am pretty sure that Matrox shows something at GDC. And usually Matrox has made annoucements just before some big events.

12th of Feb is the day when Haig commented at MURC and 12th of March is next tuesday. But still, we week away from GDC, so is it too early? well only time shows.

anyways, Interesting week coming...

and once more clear up:
I believe that,
- Matrox announces chip/tech at or before GDC.
- Matrox announces cards at or before E3
- shipments could start in late june or july.

It's going to be PCMark 2002, similiar to Sisoft Sandra type benchmarking, i.e. a full PC benchmark (CPU, memory, hard drive, etc.)

So, what score do you guys get?

This is with a 1700+, Radeon 8500, Samsung 60GB ATA100 5400 rpm disk.

CPU score: 4376
Memory score: 3263
HDD score: 408

PCMark2002

FIC AD-11 pcb 1.2 w/ ABA46 BIOS
AMD Athlon 1600+ (1.4GHz) CPU non-overclocked
768MB PC2100 CL2.5 DDR-SDRAM
Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm ATA100 HD
NEC 8x4x32 CDRW
GeForce4 MX-440 64MB AGP @ 270MHz core & 450MHz memory
MS Windows XP Professional

PCMark2002:

CPU Score: 4069
Memory Score: 2687
HDD Score: 930

Kiddy benchmark

Samsung 60GB ATA100 5400 rpm disk.
HDD score: 408

Maxtor 60GB 7200rpm ATA100 HD
HDD Score: 930

The HD benchmark is a farce, my IBM 45GB 7200rpm 2MB cache disk gets 1400-1600 points, probably just because I have a second 13GB HD in here.

I'd have to agree on the disk bench.
My Maxtor DMP60, 60GB, 7200 RPM drive gets a paltry 655. Now, granted, this is an NTFS partition (which is markedly slower than FAT32), but the disparity amongst similar performing drives is a bit hard to believe. It would also appear that SSE2 is vitally important to having a good CPU as the P4s (pre-Northwood) are trouncing Athlon XPs that, at least IMHO, are as fast or faster.

Hmmm....perhaps the paranoia about MadOnion promoting certain suppliers in subversive ways isn't all that unbelieveable after all.

But, hey, it's just a bench and my rig is still a screamer.

Mize

Original P4's are scoring higher than Athlon XP's, and we all know that a Athlon XP eats original P4's for breakfast , Northwoods are just starting to catch up. :rolleyes:

Back