New Atari game console is on the way

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by pharma, Jun 17, 2017.

1. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Sure, but the question I have here is if AMD will even be producing 28nm Bristol Ridge chips in H2 2019 when 7nm is the norm and 14nm is the lower-cost option.

2. DSoup

DSoup meh

I'm sure AMD would be more than amenable to licensing the use of an old piece of tech, especially if producing it was your problem rather than their problem. That sounds like free $$$ :yep2:

3. ToTTenTranz

I don't think this Atari console will ever get enough demand to justify the production of an old SoC, much less having Atari themselves licensing the chip and making the orders themselves, but we'll see..

DSoup likes this.
  4. DSoup

DSoup meh

I agree. But from AMD's perspective, if somebody wants to throw money at you for an EOL technology solution, why would you say no?

Equally, resurrecting production of an old IC design on an old IC fab isn't difficult or expensive. There are a lot of old fabs because of the speed with which technology moves on. :yep2:

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

I imagine there are enough old A10's lying in a drawer somewhere to satisfy the market demand for this thing.

6. DSoup

DSoup meh

This occurred to me but then I wondered who commissioned production of these things then didn't commit them to a product...

7. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

AMD made a load of A10s to sell to IHVs. They might well have had a few tens of thousands left over that Atari bought up. How many is Atari going to need? I don't see this as a legitimate product with a future with someone requesting 200,000 SOCs plus 50,000 a month thereafter for three years. It costs as much as a PS4 while being vastly inferior in every way, and how many people really want to play the Atari classics enough to spend $200??

They should more realistically stick an emulator on iOs and Android with the entire library. I genuinely think the only reason to run this hardware plan is to exploit venture capitalists. I learnt from a friend there's some odd tax thing in the UK where you want/need to invest a lot in products with a high risk of failure to save money; he had many millions to invest and to find 20 opportunities that were high risk. I can't see any realistic proposal for this product and can't imagine any industry personnel recommending in favour of it. Low spec machine, badly priced, from a reanimated corpse of a brand with little contemporary value, with nothing to add but a thread-bare library of ancient nostalgia that appeals to guys in their late 40s...let's commission ten million to start with and go from there. o_O

DSoup, BRiT and AlBran like this.
  8. ToTTenTranz

At least the company who makes their controllers, PowerA, has made great controllers in the past (I personally own 2 myself). If it falls, It probably won't be because of the controllers (like OUYA).

Do they need venture capitalists? Within 24 hours, they already raised over $2.2 Million and it doesn't look like it will stop anytime soon.
    I won't be surprised if they reach over $20 Million throughout the campaign, and then just open up a website for direct pre-orders.

Looking at the hardware, since the release is so far away, I wonder if they will even change it at some point.
    AFAIK Bristol Ridge is little more than a Carrizo adapted to be easily replaceable by Raven Ridge. Come late 2018 they could just replace that A10 with a Ryzen 3 2300U or better, and/or if RAM keeps going down in price they might even change from 4 to 8GB.

As for the value, it's very similar to nvidia's Shield TV which sells at a similar price.

Also, I'm glad to see they at least didn't pull any punches regarding wireless capabilities (5GHz AC), 4x USB 3.0, Gigabit, microSD card slot.
    The console also has a 4-mic array for voice commands, and it already has TWITCH streaming.

9. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Bristol Ridge is Carrizo with DDR4 support enabled, only handful of Carrizos ever got released with DDR4-support for mobile use and I think the official excuse for sticking with DDR3 (on almost all models) was "we didn't want to confuse the market with different memories"

10. pharma

Veteran Regular

Atari VCS faked gameplay footage as well as showing a port the creator knew nothing about

https://www.kitguru.net/gaming/ryan...howing-a-port-the-creator-knew-nothing-about/

BRiT likes this.
  11. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

I know all of you are waiting patiently for more news. You're now rewarded with another 9 months of more waiting...

https://medium.com/@atarivcs/more-power-is-coming-to-the-atari-vcs-20c02f3aefc2

Now you can buy two more knowing it has a better brain. LoL

Tommy McClain

12. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

13. AzBat

AzBat Agent of the Bat
    Legend Veteran

The Indiegogo campaign is done & now you can pre-order directly from Walmart.com, Gamestop.com & the new AtariVCS.com.

Looks like there are 3 different versions of the VCS 800 All-in bundle:

AtariVCS800skus900x105.jpg

Walnut trim - Atari
    Onyx trim - Atari & Gamestop
    Gold kevlar trim - Walmart

Anyway, seems kind of expensive @ $390 but it does allow you to install any OS you want in the Atari Sandbox Mode & you do get and HDMI cable and both the classic joystick & moden controller.

I'll wait for the release to see reviews & then might pick one up at $50 when they go out of business. ;)

Tommy McClain

Cyan, BRiT and pharma like this.
  14. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

install any OS, my favourite feature