New Alan Wake screen shots and interviews

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by SlmDnk, Apr 7, 2007.

1. SlmDnk

Regular

2. Richard

Richard Mord's imaginary friend
    Veteran

Thanks, third image... wallpaper'ed

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

They look pretty good technically but are lacking an organic feel IMO. The buildings look pretty flat and sterile for some reason.

4. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

hm... I do get a feeling of HL2: Ep 2 in the second shot. I don't know if it can be helped since it is a pretty far out place in the mountains and it's just a bunch of well...shacks. Something does look a little off though. Maybe it's the perspective?

The third screen is very very nice. :)

5. Inane_Dork

Inane_Dork Rebmem Roines
    Veteran

I'm progressively averse to developer interviews where they are not allowed to say anything new. What's the point? All they can do is tease and smile like they have something great they can't talk about.

Been there, done that.
    The screens are amazing, though.

6. icecold1983

Banned

rly starting to not like this game, ever batch looks more and more like half life 2 graphics. everything has that "lifeless" look for lack of a better word. just doesnt look natural.

7. Sazar

Newcomer

Well, it is just a screen-shot.

When things are in motion, they will perhaps feel a little more natural and you will feel more involved.

For as sterile as portions of HL2 looked, the actual game-play was relatively involving due to the physics and the constant motion.

8. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Yep, screenshot evaluations tell you nothing about whether you will enjoy the game or not. We are used to things not looking natural since most games are pretty stylized. Now that we're getting to a point where we have some serious graphical fidelity that feeling of not-quite-there is starting to creep in. It's definitely progress and will certainly be more immersive in motion. The galvanize could use some work though - it's too flat and not reflective enough or something.

9. Neeyik

Neeyik Homo ergaster
    Veteran

The lighting, in action, makes a huge difference to the game and the screenshots really don't tell the "full story" - watching the volumetric lighting in night-time scenarios is especially impressive.

10. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Some great views there. Actually one of the first thoughts that came to mind is that I would really like to play Oblivion on a game with that type of outdoor view and detail.

11. SlmDnk

Regular

Only the three in the first post are really new ones, though :)

12. nintenho

Veteran

oh yeah, the hardwired one's were already posted.

13. Sxotty

Veteran

One would think they could get the whole mountains and trees thing right considering where they are from, but to be honest they look weird. The third shot looks the most out of place of any if you spend a great deal of time outdoors.

Reasons
    The snow is in random patches not a logical pattern as develops in the natural world. Same with trees no slope and aspect stuff taken into account. The mountains and trees are out of scale for normal areas as well. Not enough low ground cover. Other things like that. The sky and stuff looks fine though. I guess I shouldn't complain...

14. icecold1983

Banned

ur right, just realized the trees are as tall as mountains.

15. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Hey, Remedy is from Finland, we don't have tall mountains here :evil:

16. Sxotty

Veteran

Oh well learn something new every day. I actually thought there were mountains in northern Finland for some reason. And I wasn't really sure where remedy was from other than somewhere north of Denmark :)

17. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

Nah, just fjelds, our tallest one is 1328 metres high (measured from the sealevel I assume)

18. Diplo

Veteran

Don't know if you do, but yeah, I certainly did. Something about the textures and lighting that seem very Source to me.

19. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

:p yes, I do for the same speculations. The lighting looks very similar in the shots and I guess the art direction and design are rather similar too. I guess it helps that both have the forest/mountain setting too. Just have a look at these shots:

http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/56686/HalfLife-2-The-Orange-Box/
    http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen-hires/56684/HalfLife-2-The-Orange-Box/
    http://www.firingsquad.com/media/hirez.asp?file=/media/galleries/halflife2ep2_sept10/03.jpg

From the wood grain to the corrugated metal walls...