New 360 screens (Test Drive UL, Lost Planet, Gears of War)

It seems like Lost Planet relies more on "raw" polygon power, whereas GoW is using the normal mapping procedure.

Thanks for the links. You know at this point i've seen enough screenshots of GoW. The only thing that matters now is to hold the controller in my hand and play the thing on MY HDTV. Anything else is just more of the same.

LP does look good, i wonder if there will be any visual improvements leading up to release (which is a ways off) or if its 'engine complete' and theyre just working on content.

Don't make much from the Test Drive Unlimited pics. Lost Planet look pretty good (pics are blown up) and GOW pics aren't touched up this time which is good.

expletive said:
Yeah i agree. If they can lock the framerate and turn on v-sync with the game looking like this, we'll be in for a visual treat.
Ya I can;t wait to see this puppy in motion, in person, games always look better in person and this looks so good in the screens, you just know it's gonna be awesome.

And I agree, the lack of Vsync is really starting to bother me on alot of games. Do developers not realize how pronounced it is on a 50"+ screen?

czekon said:
is it bad? GoW imo looks waaay better

No, actually, I find it pretty interesting that the two ways are utilized and both achieve good results. Both have advantages. It is fun to see some competition. :p

scooby_dooby said:
Do developers not realize how pronounced it is on a 50"+ screen?

Only if they play on 50"+ screens. ;) I'm sure Cliffy is just as anal about such issues too since he's coming from a PC centric background.

kyleb said:
I'm not so sure, many PC gamers aren't bothered by screen tearing.

Problably because they dont know they could fix it just like the average gamer doesnt know about force AA/AF either. Plus i would think screen tearing on a 30"+ HD television would be far more noticeable then on a 19-21'' CRT/LCD.

For better or worse you can get use to any settings. I cant stand tearing or playing a game without AF forced. A couple years ago i problably wouldnt of noticed. Its only when you've seen the light of the better way do you want to stay there ;).

Then of course theres the small percent of anemic gamers who claim that if they dont play a game with 100+ fps (while maxing settings mind you) they'll get massive headaches and pass out cause the game looks laggy. God only knows how they watch tv.

cthellis42 said:
"Mutant Boobs" would make a great name for a rock band.

Only if your audience was young teens.

Last edited by a moderator:
scooby_dooby said:
Ya I can;t wait to see this puppy in motion, in person, games always look better in person and this looks so good in the screens, you just know it's gonna be awesome.

Yeah that's the one thing to remember when it comes to next-gen games. Do you remember the times when screenshots in magazines would look better than the real game because it was hiddening flaws? :LOL:

SugarCoat said:
Problably because they dont know they could fix it just like the average gamer doesnt know about force AA/AF either.

No, actually a lot of them know what vsync does; they just don't use it. Hard for me to believe, too, but having a high-end PC and spending lots of time in the PC community on a daily basis I can say that most of them play games w/o it turned on. The majority opinion among them is that it "hurts performance."

I have a feeling the reason most don't use it is because of the fluctuation in framerate in DirectX. DX9 has no triple-buffering option built into it like OpenGL does, and some games fluctuate wildly in frames/second with vsync enabled because of that.

The one workaround, and the one I use, is a little program called DXTweaker that enables triple-buffering in DirectX. It gives you the visual quality of vsync but at no cost to performance. Basically, your games play like you're not running vsync yet you are. The program's a godsend because it gets really annoying to have your framerate at 60 and then suddenly drop like a slot machine to 30. It creates very unsmooth gameplay.

Hopefully the Epic team isn't going by the same guidelines as the PC crowd in regards to screen-tearing. I did see much more tearing in the E3 video than I would have liked, but it's been said their engine is now using a multi-threaded renderer which it wasn't back then.

Plus i would think screen tearing on a 30"+ HD television would be far more noticeable then on a 19-21'' CRT/LCD.

Tearing is very evident on my 20.1" widescreen LCD, but I only sit about 3 feet back from my monitor. I can imagine it would probably be even more noticeable on a large TV.

For better or worse you can get use to any settings. I cant stand tearing or playing a game without AF forced. A couple years ago i problably wouldnt of noticed. Its only when you've seen the light of the better way do you want to stay there ;).

True. After owning a high-end PC you want all the eye candy you can get.

Then of course theres the small percent of anemic gamers who claim that if they dont play a game with 100+ fps (while maxing settings mind you) they'll get massive headaches and pass out cause the game looks laggy. God only knows how they watch tv.

LOL, I know. I think we call them for the most part the SLi/Crossfire Community.

After seeing som Lost Planet videos, dont you think that the game looks like the spiritual sucessor of Bionic Comando with the grappling hook and everything?

An offtopic question. This is going to sound a little bit weird, but i have been experiencing tearing, but not with my games, but with images. Lets say that i am checking a page with 7 or 8 screenshots with a resolution of 684*480 or 800*600, when i scroll up to down, or from left to right, i encounter some tearing with the images. Of course once i stop scrolling, the image is ok. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on? is not that of a big deal, but it gets annoying after a while.

I dont think we can make a strong case for either wrt "PC Gamers and screen tearing" because we're really only going on anecdotal info here. I can see where the deathmatch crowd would sacrifice image qualirt for every bit of performance but the single player crowd will give back a few frames/sec for the solid image vsync provides.

I will say that there was an outcry awhile back when the major graphics card manufacturers left out the option to "force vsync" in their drivers. Since then, that option has been a staple in every revision since.

So i wouldnt say that PC gamers 'dont care' about vsync, i just think that theyre SO educated on the subject, they are making very educated decisions based on their individual requirements.

Back