New 30" LCD from Dell is coming around conner...

I see this monitor as a reason for SLI to exist. The ultra high end has been defined. :)

EasyRaider said:
Fair enough. Two 1600x1200 monitors should do the same trick for less money, though.
And personallly that is what I think I too would prefer, but the 20" are comparatively cheap so that is actually a good thing.

swaaye said:
I see this monitor as a reason for SLI to exist. The ultra high end has been defined. :)
Just only you have to make sure that the SLI thing supports Dual-link DVI output to the monitor too ;). AFAIK, it is not about NV6xxx and 7xxx series except only you own NV Quadro pro series card.
And personallly that is what I think I too would prefer, but the 20" are comparatively cheap so that is actually a good thing.
Yes, agree with that for some level, but sometime dual monitor is also headache too as most windows are always try to open on primary monitor and the task bar is also on only my primary monitor too :???:.

Kinda amusing watching people throw hissy fits over the lack of input options for this beast. Do they actually think component and S-video can drive 2560x1600?

Here's a teaser page at Dell for it: http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/brand/3007wfp?c=u

Just showed it to the wife. Not a good reaction. "Wow, what a great belated Christmas present this would make, huh?" "Keep dreaming." "You are the speed block on my road to happiness, you do realize that." "Whatever."

Well, this is the woman who thot the 24" was too big, I seem to recall.

Edit --I'm going to guess the pricing will be at least $1495.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nite_Hawk said:
Yeah, I actually figured out the rough dimensions and DPI.

It should be fairly close to 25.44"x15.9" and roughly 100dpi assuming square pixels. That's only slightly higher dpi than a 17" 1280x1024 display at 96.4ish dpi, and much less than a 15" 1600x1200 laptop screen at 132.5 dpi. Reading text on this monitor should be quite reasonable at 2 feet.

Nite_Hawk

Wait, so what's the DPI of a 19" 1280x1024 monitor? I believe standard DPI is 100, above average is 130, and all monitors are still well below the dpi of a printer. (some 21" crts can do 2056x1536 or some res like that, what would that DPI be? though a 21" CRT has more like 20" screen size, and image quality will probably suffer at that res over VGA)

John Reynolds said:
I'd bet closer to $2k.

I'm guessing it will be at least 30% cheaper than Apples 30", roughly around $1400.

Just update on Dell 3007WFP to drop on 5 Jan 06

It was posted again at Engadget that Dell 3007WFP will drop on 5 Jan 2006. The user manual is also surfaced at Dell website here and its spec sounds better than Apple 30"-cinema by being the same resolution (2560 x 1600), but 700:1 contrast ratio over 400:1, 11ms over 16ms, and 400cd/m2 brightness over 270.
BTW... Merry Xmas :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta wonder how its scalar will handle non-native resolutions, though. For those with SLI, you might be able to drive a few games at that res but I'm not sure which games will support such a high resolution. Probably damn few. So that means running a helluva lot of stuff at much lower resolutions, so. . . .

John Reynolds said:
Gotta wonder how its scalar will handle non-native resolutions, though. For those with SLI, you might be able to drive a few games at that res but I'm not sure which games will support such a high resolution. Probably damn few. So that means running a helluva lot of stuff at much lower resolutions, so. . . .

Those pictures showing one of the Dell monitors running an xbox 360 at 1280x720 and 1920x1080 looked really good, and niether one is the dell's native res.

John Reynolds said:
Like I said before, running at 1280x800 will be the sweet-spot for games, considering that it's a fairly standard resolution today (lots of laptops) and that it'll just scale instead of filtering. For movies and HD feeds it'll probably suck because upscaling will always be crappier than downscaling unless their algorithms target movies instead of crispness (I doubt that, it's a computer display after all).

John Reynolds said:
I'm just wondering how many SLi can support DVI-D (Dual link DVI???) by native mode ;). AFAIK, only SLi that support is only available on Quadro class VID :???:, and you can see on the manual at Dell that the monitor have only one DVI-D (digital only) connector and no more D-sub connector for analog scaling :oops:.

satein said:
It was posted again at Engadget that Dell 3007WFP will drop on 5 Jan 2006. The user manual is also surfaced at Dell website here and its spec sounds better than Apple 30"-cinema by being the same resolution (2560 x 1600), but 700:1 contrast ratio over 400:1, 11ms over 16ms, and 400cd/m2 brightness over 270.
BTW... Merry Xmas :D

You may want to read the review on anandtech where they contrasted Dell vs. Apple screens, albeit a different model.
Exactly the same screen, but with different enclosures, and oddly enough very different spec sheets with the Dell one specifying much more impressive numbers for the same product....

Moral: Never trust spec sheets for consumer products.

Back