Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #3 (Rules Post #1!)

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by Shifty Geezer, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlNets

AlNets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

This is not a preference thread.

2. assurdum

Veteran

Quote. I repeat there are some pieces strangely better on ps3 , I don't understood why didn't concentrated to optimize the flaws (aliasing, slowdown) instead these insignificantes particulares...

3. DrJay24

Veteran

No it's not UE. The first sub-HD UE game I've heard of is Bioshock PS3.

4. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I am sure it boils down to each plaforms strenghts/weakness regarding the hardware. If anything this looks like Bethesda optimized the different versions to maintain as much effects as possible enabled. PC would here be the reference having all effects to be enabled. Maybe AA was cheaper on xbox360 becouse of the EDRAM instead of the glossy mapping + better/different texture detail. While on the PS3 AA was to costly but the mapping and textures was well within limits to maintain the 30fps mark.

Take also into account the draw distance and amount of objects rendered and how costly it will be to AA.

#1684 Neb, Nov 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2008
  5. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Dark Sector IS UE3, it's a pretty widely known fact actually.

6. obonicus

Veteran

Is it? I thought it was when I played it, but every reference piece says otherwise. Are they lying about the whole proprietary engine thing?

7. Sigfried1977

Veteran

According to Digital Eclipse the DS engine is a proprietary one called Sector engine. While the art direction is rather similar to Epic's own UE3 games it's still easy to see that DS is not running on EU3: lighting has an entirely different feel, shadows are smoother, no texture pop-ins or similar streaming issues and there is a certain warmth and vibrancy present in the image I have never seen in any UE3 game so far: from Monster Madness to Gears to Mass Effect to fatal Inertia - they all have this cold, neon lighted tint. I think the UE3 has a very distinct look and DS does no look like that.
    I think DS is one of the most underrated graphics showcases this generation actually.

8. Rotmm

Regular

Strange that, as it's actually running on the Evolution Engine, internally developed by Digital Extremes.

9. assen

Veteran

No engine that enforces color ballance would sell even one copy.

10. assurdum

Veteran

You probably are right, but fallout 3 has more bugs on ps3 of the others version; awful slowndown in particular situation, part of people body disappear and appear, it meant bad optimized and no more imho.

11. AlNets

AlNets ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Moderator Legend

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.