Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #3 (Rules Post #1!)

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by Shifty Geezer, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assurdum

Veteran

Boh, in these shots the normal maps I don't seem absolutely downscaled, change only the AA (present on 360) and the high brightness of ps3.

2. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Explain the obvious differences on the "Access" panel on the left side then.

3. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Talking about the object on the left wall? The aliasing around the rounded portions reminds me of the difference between DXT5 & 3Dc compression (not that I'm saying they're using those two formats in particular. They might be using something else that results in the aliasing).

4. assurdum

Veteran

Different illumination? One is dark the other is shine...I can see only this difference...

5. damienw

Regular

Gears 2 appears to be 1280x720, no AA (again). I don't have nearly the expertise to determine if the weird AA from the first is back.

6. galopin

Newcomer

Don't know about this game, but it's clear that DXN normal map seems uncompressed, That's far better than DXT5 (with alpha channel swap trick or better error correction). And of courses, RSX does'nt support it as the 360 do :(

7. assurdum

Veteran

:???:
    [​IMG]
    paradoxical to my eyes the bump seems little bit better on ps3 ...

8. zarbaj

Newcomer

you know, i've been wondering this for a while, is there a sub hd UE3 game?

9. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Here's a better closeup. Your particular image editor has compressed things poorly. The specular looks different, but the extra ring around the squircle looks like a compression artifact, particularly at the corners (PS3).

(click for bigger)

[​IMG][​IMG]

10. assurdum

Veteran

Sorry however In my opinion the texture are little different on ps3, just look the border around 'access' write little different (and just a little bit details added) and the extra ring too missed on 360 ...not seems better or worsen, just different texture applied.

11. galopin

Newcomer

"Extra rings" as you said is a typical normalmap compression artifact in DXT :)

12. kyleb

Veteran

Yeah, same texture, different compression.

13. Statix

Newcomer

For whatever reason, the PS3 version of F3 seems to have better specularity resolve in at least a couple different textures in that shot. I'm not really sure what this boils down to; higher AF levels? Better specular mapping method?

14. galopin

Newcomer

Or the difference between X360 1010102F surfaces versus 8888 on ps3 if they could'nt afford the price of 64bits rendering and a tone map tweaked on x360.

15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

hmm... so LDR would explain why the two knobs look washed out (almost all white)?

Edit:

On a different note... Fable II has this motion blur when the camera moves or the player runs. It's very distracting. :???:

16. damienw

Regular

Socom:Confrontation appears to be 1280x720, and 2xAA (I think; AA still messes me up)

17. galopin

Newcomer

I didn't play to fallout yet, so it's difficult to say from only one screen, but that can be an answer.

18. assurdum

Veteran

It isn't the same texture I don't know the compression but really zoom the shot to max and you notice are little different , and the artifact ring who someone said simply on 360 there isn't as an 'extra' border on the access warning too...

19. kyleb

Veteran

Various compresion methods add such "extra boarders".

20. assurdum

Veteran

Oh Gesus not again...I just explained the texture are little differents, unfortunately the shot is too bad compress to see that, my apologies, but if you don't believe me, find the original shot and zoom to maximun the part, and you'll see too it isn't only at 'artifact' and you'll notice too the texture on ps3 is shine by the light (probably the bump seems artifact for this but imho)) and on 360 the light is missed. No reason to be sarcastic. However it's deniable fallout 3 is better on 360, isn't my intention to said the opposite but this texture is another question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.