Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #3 (Rules Post #1!)

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by Shifty Geezer, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

true, however its fairly stable if there are 4-5 cars on screen and more if there are some in the distance.

2. jandlecack

Banned

Yep, it is, and I don't consider 4-5 cars and scaled down models in the distance to be a lot going on when you compare it to an FPS like Bad Company... or Killzone 2 (since we're talking PS3 anyway). Specially since Prologue has no AA at 1080p mode at all.

The equation is really simple and I think you understand it, I just wanted to highlight it... few models on screen + higher quality (polycount e.g.) ^= plenty models on screen + lower quality. In terms of performance. With limited GPU power as is in the PS3 and 360.

3. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I thought it had 2XAA at 1080p and 4xAA at 720p

edit: Also the car models look very detailed to me.

4. jandlecack

Banned

No, last I read was 2xAA on the track at 720p and no AA at 1080p.

Which ones? Of course, they are very detailed. But not in the distance they ain't. Why render 30k polygons when you couldn't tell the difference from a 5k polygon car at that position?

5. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

i meant 4-5 in close proximity and more in the distance. when they're as detailed as they are in GT5P, i still wouldn't consider that little. i wouldn't necessarily call it a lot either, though. but agree to disagree. :smile:

agree. :smile:

and if were talking about GT5P still, it is indeed 2xAA @ 1080p and 4xAA @ 720p. the demo was 2xAA/0xAA, but they upped it to 4xAA/2xAA for release.

6. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

100k polies on the outside, and another 100k on the inside, apparently. So yes, quite detailed. ;)

7. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

i doubt there is anything wrong with their graphics engine, its more of a budget thing combined with developer skill thing if anything.

8. jandlecack

Banned

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Didn't know that about GT5.

Have we got confirmation on the 100k poly spec?

9. Rangers

Legend

Anybody take a crack at Pure (both) and Bioshock PS3?

How bout even Banjoe? Or is that too early?

Heres a video of Bioshock PS3/360.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/

10. joker454

Veteran

Back on MLB, cranking AF to the max just on the ground cost miliseconds (don't remember exact numbers anymore). 4x wasn't bad, but still measurable.

I wonder if they rolled their own 'msaa' solution. On those shots from Hotcooler, it almost looks like they do an edge detection pass, using Z to find edges, then blur those parts. End result being that a hunk of building with one edge against the sky (z delta large enough to detect edge) gets blurred, but the other edge against more of the same building (z delta too close to detect edge) gets no blurring at all. I guess I'll find out soon enough...going to be trying my own msaa solution as well :)

11. iceberg187

Regular

12. fearsomepirate

fearsomepirate Dinosaur Hunter
    Veteran

Geeze, yeah...what's the point of the HD resolution and hi-res textures if you're just going to go with trilinear anyway? It makes the ground look last-gen.

13. Betanumerical

Veteran

GT:5P is.

1280x720 with 4xAA
    1280x1080 with 2xAA

Gran Turismo concept is the game you are thinking of which was.

1280x720 with 2xAA
    1440x1080 with 0xAA

14. jandlecack

Banned

Think we can expect 1920x1080 4xAA in the final GT5 game? ;)

Have there actually been ANY screenshots from the proper game? I don't think so...I really wonder what's going on there.

15. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

No chance of that.

1080p @ 4x AA would require far to much bandwidth for the PS3.

Uh, it was PD's plan to continue to update GT5P along with the development of GT5. Thus GT5P should be a representation of GT5 development progress (once the updates start coming out). Of course, since you'd want GT5P to be stable, the builds are gonna be "out of date" compared to the builds of the engine PD is actually working on.

16. FirewalkR

Regular

All other things being equal, what would be the theoretical max AA for both 720p and 1080p on the PS3? Assuming it doesn't just depend on geometry, shaders, etc.

17. zed

zed
    Veteran

4xAA for both :), of course youve also gotta ask yourself at what framerate, though both at 60fps should be achievable (someone will do the calcs no doubt)

(edit) sorry that was a bit stupid on my part, though the question is a bit nonsensable(?) as games must render geometry
    if u look here though
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241
    theres a couple of games satisfying the criterea (not mention of framerate though)

Full Auto 2 (demo) = 1920x1080 (4x AA)
    Elefunk = 1920x1080 (4xAA)

#1057 zed, Sep 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  18. jandlecack

Banned

19. MasaC

Newcomer

Any word on FIFA 09 now that the demo is out? I've set my PS3 to both 720p and 1080p and the demo selects 1080p over 720p. It doesn't look like full 1920x1080 to me, though. Someone knows?

20. MvmntInGrn

Newcomer

I found that hard to judge, I did not nice the facial differences but I did notice the AA. Its hard to tell though, I know there was jagged edges in both videos but the videos weren't taken on the same route. The only scene in both, I think, it the one with the guy on fire. I played they both a few times and the AA and textures looked identical.

May have to wait for some screenshots, I think they are running equally (or very close to it) maybe the 360 has a filter but I don't think it has more AA. Funny for once I would have prefered a GT side-by-side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.