Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #3 (Rules Post #1!)

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by Shifty Geezer, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quaz51

Regular

#81 Quaz51, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  2. MazingerDUDE

Regular

3. Quaz51

Regular

4. Quaz51

Regular

i say 1120x585 not 1152x595 or 1120x595
    and Z-buffer is also 1120x585 of course

5. yoda-dip-jp

Newcomer

6. zarbaj

Newcomer

well, that's better.

thanks quaz and mazinger :)

7. ngkane

Newcomer

Thank you very much my friend :wink:

8. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Very interesting info regarding Ninja Gaiden 2, and thanks thanks thanks to the ever helpful Quad, as usual.

Any word on Enemy Territory Quake Wars? I've bought the game a couple of days ago and I'm pretty sure it's 720p -if not 1080p- (judgind by the size of the text on screen) with AAx4 or AAx8.

This game, while not impressive graphically, looks so clean and crisp because of that.

P.S: I'm playing it on a 360.

9. GKchikan

Newcomer

Sorry. I'm not even sure if Z buffer also has to be doubled for AA, but the calculation is 1120x585x4(32bit)x2(2xMSAA)x2(normal buffer + Z buffer?) / 1048576 = 9.99755859. So I understand why this resolution is the best setting available for Xenos. Thank you!

10. deepbrown

Veteran

Shouldn't judge by text. Text could be 1080p, but the rest could be...well, anything.

Oh and 1120by585 isn't 585p is it Quaz...?

#92 deepbrown, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  11. grandmaster

Veteran

Here's how it looks at 1080p on Xbox 360. First time I've played the game on any format and it's not really that impressive to look at, is it? Doesn't look much like native 1080p to me.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. M I IR IR O IR

Newcomer

Hi
    you saw the new Alone in the Dark 5
    as a resolution to turn? 720p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Thanks for the pics, grandmaster. I agree it isn't a pretty game to look at, the graphics are just functional to get the job done, they aren't eye candy at all. The megatexture technology works fine, though, since the textures look solid from afar and up close, no matter how far you move from them.

As for the text on screen, I meant that it looks small but very readable and antialiased, while in games with sub-HD resolutions like CoD4 it looks like capital letters and aliased.

Another factor I use to calculate actual native resolution is the field of view. 720p games tend to have a much broader field of view so moving objects and bodies distributed across the screen are not lost as easily.

That's what confuses me about photo-to-photo (720p or 1080p) comparisons between two versions of the same game rendered at different native resolutions.

Shouldn't be the field of view better in the native 720p version? I'm wondering that because in every comparison both versions show the same field of view, which I find strange and somewhat unnatural.

PS: I know my methods are archaic but it's just a "first sight" measure :smile:

14. grandmaster

Veteran

I'm not sure what you're getting at. 1280x720 and 1920x1080 offer the same 16:9 aspect ratio.

EDIT: Hmmm. Very annoying. Those Quake shots have been scaled down by Imageshack. Can any one recommend an alternative that can deal with 1080p PNGs?

15. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

Grandmaster, well, I mean, RTS games on PCs, for instance, have a different field of view depending on the native resolution you choose.

Running Age of Empires at 800x600 and 1600x1200 makes a big difference. In consoles, the native resolution doesn't matter that much then?

16. grandmaster

Veteran

Oh right, I see. Nope, nothing like that on console as far as I know.

OK on another topic, I'm looking at Race Driver GRID full game captures on PlayStation 3. It looks pretty much the same to me as the demo - that includes resolution, AA, screen tear etc.

17. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

FOV is entirely a camera choice. AoE changing the camera based on resolution is simply a design decision (or if you're talking about the old 2D versions, it happens because the graphics are fixed sizes in pixels, and a higher resolution screen has more pixels). There's nothing stopping a game incorporating the same perspective regardless of resolution. The only thing that'll be affected between resolutions due to hardware is the FOV, as widescreen displays show a different aspect, and targeting 4:3, you'd need ot choose whether to fit the same horizontal view in with wideangle, or leave the 4:3 player seeing less.

18. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

These images are too small. Oh and please don't hotlink from other news sites. A URL to the gallery will be fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.