Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #3 (Rules Post #1!)

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by Shifty Geezer, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. catisfit

Regular

To be honest the D-pad should be much more of a concern than the native resolution (although the blur would concern me if I was choosing between the two purely on IQ)

2. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

It depends on the developer. Some PS3 games stick to 720p if you have 720p and 1080p selected in your PS3 settings. Some games will use the higher vertical resolution support.

As you can tell, there is a great degree of resolution control between in-game, in-garage etc for GT5P.

Again, it depends on the developer. They can either scale it similar to Flash or store the HUD elements directly (e.g. X360 dashboard is designed for 720p).

3. Jack_Tripper

Newcomer

You can - have it forced on mine as we speak!

:)

Jack

4. kakunin

Newcomer

I'm confused. :???:

Which version is 1365x960? PS3? 360? Or... both 1280x720?

5. djskribbles

Legend Veteran

360 version is... i don't think we know what the PS3 version is. whatever it is, they seem to be pretty identical.

6. Kelcey

Newcomer

Okay, this is the best i could get with Nightmare's sword. Hopefully it's long enough.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

AA on the PS3 version doesn't always seem to be on, seems to be 2xAA vs 4xAA on the 360 sometimes, or cover the full area. Strange shots. Maybe they are from different video modes as well, or something interesting is going on.

8. Extra411

Newcomer

Looks like PS3 version has higher level of contrast; the highlights are more evident, and the darker areas are also darker than 360 version.

Looking at the background ornaments/floor, it looks to me the 360 version seems slightly sharper.

9. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

360 has no AA. You are merely observing the effects of higher vertical resolution and downscaling.

10. Syvere

Newcomer

Well, like I said the effect is similar. All that really matters that the effect is there and provides slightly better IQ versus PS3 version. The other thing I noticed is that the background textures seem to be higher resolution on xbox. You can see the difference in pic 04 most easily. The difference isn't big but it's there nonetheless.

11. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

This would be due to rendering at a higher resolution also.

12. Syvere

Newcomer

Thanks for clearing that up as well. Looking at that Japanese page they also tested loading times. Quite interesting to see that even with installation PS3 loads a few seconds slower in most cases. I hope they do a new test once the new dashboard update which allows installations on HDD is released. In all honesty 10s vs 8s is nothing. I really must applaud Namco for making a good PS3 port. If you read the previews from last year the PS3 version was in a bad shape at that time with lots of slowdowns etc. Looks like they really spend some time optimizing the game for PS3 too.

ステージ、キャラ 360 PS3 not installed PS3 installed
    テスモポリス SIEGFRIED vs NIGHTMARE 12 16 10
    エジプト XIANGHUA vs IVY 8 16 10
    式神の間 HILDE vs TIRA 8 18 10

13. Kelcey

Newcomer

Hmm. So finally some good comparisons are out. Personally, I like the look of the PS3 version more. The contrast on the PS3 version looks better to me. Though this can obviously be fixed by changing settings on your TV and what not. The second thing is that I'm not a big fan of whatever it is (resolution/blurring) that's making the 360 version look like it has more AA. It just looks... blurrier to me. Though, very minorly blurrier. Not too big of a deal. Maybe that's due to the possibilyt that there's already blur there.

So it is confirmed the are using some blurring now (in both versions)? I really wish they didn't... or at least made some weirdo "AA" setting so you could toggle it on and off. I really don't like the soft picture. It seems like we're missing out on some sharp details in textures.

14. Jazz9

Newcomer

It doesn't seem like there's any blur in both versions (to me anyway).
    The "antialiased" or "softer" look of the 360 version is like AlStrong said due to the higher resolution being downscaled to 720p.

15. chachi

Newcomer

I'm not sure what to make of the difference between the shots here and the ones that grandmaster did, these seem much sharper. Framebuffer grabs? Anyway I think the downsampling might also be responsible for some of the highlight reduction, since it's interpolated down you don't have a 1:1 mapping and some "highlight" pixels may be darkened by blending. The lower contrast doesn't help but I don't think it's responsible for everything. For example in the last comparison shot the girl's helmet seems to exhibit this.

For 1080p (if like has been speculated the 360 version is rendering 1280x960 or whatever it was), the reverse should be true since they're both upscaling but one has a higher base resolution to work from.

16. DrJay24

Veteran

I think screenshots make it hard to tell the difference, in motion side by side is the best way. The 360 sometimes looks flat or out of focus due to the scaling (see pic #3). I'm sure overall less aliasing might be easier on the eyes, but these SS don't show much.

17. thambos

Newcomer

I've been wondering as well. 1365x960 -> 1080p would seem to look better than 1280x720 -> 1080p

there's also the question of if the cell upscaling (assuming it's the cell) has any impact on frame rate.

I havent come across any PS3 1080p grabs yet though so I'm not sure. Grandmaster has some nice 1080p grabs back on page 24 for 360.
    I'm leaning towards the 360 version atm since my TV has poor 720p scaling (tends to cut off 1-2" around the border, cant be adjusted w/in screen boundaries)

18. Statix

Newcomer

19. Quaz51

Regular

i think the SC4 engine use a software downscale in 720p integrate in the post-process pipeline and only after that the X360 do a 1080p upscale in hardware for 1080p output. the result is double rescale and more blur (if you configure the X360 in 720p the problem is the same, intern software downscale + upscale in the Full HD TV). look the 1080p SC4 screenshot, they are more blurry for me
    there are some sub-720 X360 games (like COD4) that use first a software rescale in 720p integrate in the post-process pipeline (we know that with direct framebuffer grab) and use another upscale (hardware) for the 1080p output. double rescale isn't good, it's more blur

for the PS3 version don't need software upscale, 720p is perfectly upscaled in 1080p by modern full hd TV and in one pass of course

#679 Quaz51, Jul 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2008
  20. Rockster

Regular

Disagree with the "perfectly" part of that statement. Very debatable IMO. The upscale filters on most TV's I've seen aren't that good (generally only bilinear), and certainly worse than the Lanczos style resampling performed by Xenos. I've performed a number of comparisons using many brands and types of TV's and very few compare favorably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.