Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by TheAlSpark, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deepbrown

Veteran

Yes GPU is hardware :p No dedicated hardware scaler then! And B3d's theory is that the PS3 does have a dedicated hardware scaler which is currently gimped to only do horizantle scaling (things may change...maybe they opened it up especially for Free Radical..)

#1181 deepbrown, May 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2008
  2. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

3. Gerry

Regular

There is dedicated hardware specifically for scaling, it just happens to reside in Xenos rather than ANA/HANA. The distinction shouldn't really matter to anyone.

Seriously, read the thread highlighted above.

4. deepbrown

Veteran

5. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

If thats what happened it was a stupid decision considering the specifications of the hardware. Indeed....what on earth have they been thinking??? It makes me suspect that Sony had huge internal communication issues between departments. Its as if someone has set the goal to achieve native HD resolutions but completely omitted what the developers, or the hardware designers had to say and knew or the hardware designers omitted the game developers expectations and goals.

6. deepbrown

Veteran

Got it. The last page has the goods.

7. Statix

Newcomer

The lack of a scaler in the PS3 is a detriment those who own slightly-older generation, non-720p HDTVs, like me. It also effectively precludes compatibility with VGA output at various configurable computer monitor resolutions (the XB360 allows you to hook up to any PC monitor, and set the output resolution).

I'm a little surprised and disappointed that Sony has basically done absolutely nothing to even acknowledge this lack-of-scaling problem in the last 1 and a half years, let alone offer any solutions. The least they could do is fix newer models of the PS3 by including a working scaler chip, so I would at least have some options.

8. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Post 1 of the Game Resolutions thread has been updated to include these details that newbies have not followed in the past.

9. deepbrown

Veteran

But maybe it does...

10. Quaz51

Regular

i don't understand the question. all the sub-720p game, except maybe 2, are software upscale

11. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Can you please include a link to this post/topic in the opening post of this thread? Thanks...

12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

13. Clockwork

Newcomer

Is the SCC present on current iterations of the PS3 hardware? I always thought it was a superfluous solution intended as a stop gap until something either cheaper or efficient came along (a large portion of the SCC's functionality appears either unused or redundant)

14. Rangers

Legend

It was probably just a bug with RSX. Nvidia hardware seems to have a lot of bugs in the past dealing with video stuff. I doubt they wanted it that way, after RSX was finished it turned out the scaling capabilities just didn't work, probably. That's always been my assumption.

Although it has horizontal hardware scaling right, so it's 50% good.

15. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

1) It was never confirmed to be SCC from what I can remember.
    2) That huge chip has been replaced in the later boards.

16. Clockwork

Newcomer

My bad, I guess I haven't been keeping track of things. I thought it had been assumed that it was the SCC and that is what handled the scaling.

Since I appear to be out of the loop I apologize for derailing things.

17. deepbrown

Veteran

Sorry, I presumed there was some connection - or at least that it made scaling from sub-HD easier. Is there no connection?

18. MonkeyLicker

Newcomer

Yeah, Sony really screwed up with scaling. Considering every HDTV they make has a scaler it would seem like a pretty easy thing to get right. This is one area of hardware that should have been a home run for them.
    I'm curious if they will ever get full scaling functioning or if that's even possible.

19. joker454

Veteran

They are stuck with software vertical scaling for the life of the hardware alas (or so I've been told) :( Maybe they thought that all software would be running in 1080p and hence broken vertical scaling wouldn't be a big omission. Needless to say they chose......poorly. It's even worse given that sub 720p titles are becoming more and more common forcing software cycles to be spent on scaling. To me this lends credence to the theory that the PS3 to Sony is first and foremost a blu-ray movie player rather than a game console. Otherwise, I can't understand how you can ship a video game console without hardware scaling support.

20. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

By what chip for the purpose of doing what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.