Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by AlBran, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quaz51

Regular

we see quincunx on screenshot and i doubt it's selective, i think it's apllied on all screen but post-processing or post-shading distor the result in some case. maybe merge many buffers with different AA filter, one with some raw pass and quincunx resolved and another with shading pass with MSAAx2 resolved. apparently shading pass is on all sample but it resolve classic MSAAx2 at the same time , you don't make quincunx on this buffer after in output. but Guerilla say "quincunx", i think quincunx isn't present on lighting pass/buffer but on other raw pass/buffer

#961 Quaz51, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  2. Quaz51

Regular

it's this compromise which make possible lot of particle effect, it's used in some game, not disturbing in move

3. Quaz51

Regular

4. Dr. Nick

Regular

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Indeed. In motion it probably looks fine or it'll be something a person will get used to and ignore. There wasn't exactly any complaint with the Lost Planet particle effects on 360... at least none that I've heard.

6. betan

Veteran

Totally true, but when mint proves mathematically why that is not QAA, it will be technical one.

I'm seeing dithering on smoke, what are you guys seeing?
    If the blurring you see has only two pixel width, it means Guerrilla has awesome effects. :)

7. ShaidarHaran

ShaidarHaran hardware monkey
    Veteran

OMG OMG OMG!

Thank you! I love this series. Never have been able to get enough. Graphics look decent too. Nice and clean. Textures, lighting, car models, and scenery objects have all been upgraded enough that they each jump out at me. Hopefully they've been able to overcome the frame rate issues that have plagued prior entries in the series.

I've only been able to find one review so far, and it may as well not have been written. The guy complains the game is a failure because Genki didn't change their formula at all - um, hello? Are you retarded? This series has always been for the fans. It does not have the appeal of the mass-marketed and over-hyped Gran Turismo series (which I love and am by no means bashing), and always sells at a "discounted" price (compared to most other new titles). Not changing the formula is exactly what makes this series great. Genki got it right the first time and I'm thankful they haven't caved in and totally changed everything in an attempt to garner more sales.

8. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Those marked areas seems to be severly impacted by JPEG artefacts. If you look carefully the obvious blocks are 8x8 JPEG blocks. The striations aren't uniform across the transparent particles, so either they are mostly striated and JPEG is blurring some, or they're mostly smooth and JPEG is introducing striations, and I'm guessing the latter looking at whole image fidelity, although the striations are something I haven't seen in JPEGs before, so they are odd. The upscaled particle buffer won't cause pixelation. The buffer will be upscaled with filtering and look smooth enough on the whole, for what's being drawn. It's a useful technic used in many games across generations as you don't need per-pixel fidelity on soft particles, so may as well save yourself a shed-load of RAM, BW and drawing!

9. the ignoramus

Regular

10. assen

Veteran

11. Dot50Cal

Regular

I think Ridge Racer 7 is on PS3.
    Edit: Terribly beaten.

Quaz, I'll have some shots of GTA4 PS3 after the patch is applied. Just to quell rumors.

#971 Dot50Cal, May 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  12. Quaz51

Regular

Resolution it's just one of many parameter, the more importante is the global result and your personal feeling. each devs and game make different choice and compromise in accordance with competence and priority ( for mini-games, race-games, fight-games, sport-games, strategy-games... visibility and resolution can be priority, or framerate but for adventure/action games the priority is sometime more to have a visual identity, personalize the graphic aspect for product a singular atmosphere)
    if we talk much native resolution it's just because it's one of the only objective and quantifiable graphic parameter, it's the main reason. it's not the topic for determine the better and worst game, just determine native resolution
    ICO have the worst resolution of all games of the previous generation (DC, PS2, GC, Xbox...), ICO is hideous?

13. Dot50Cal

Regular

14. Quaz51

Regular

15. MisterTwoTurbo

Newcomer

Hello Quaz, how about resolution for The Bourne Conspiracy Demo? It's out on the PSN. Just curious

16. zarbaj

Newcomer

17. zarbaj

Newcomer

with that scale and textures, i don't mind :grin:

18. woundingchaney

Regular

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.