Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by AlBran, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. "Nerve-Damage"

Regular

So what are you trying to say; that the developer is lying about their own engine and IQ capability? :???:
    [​IMG]

Edit: If I’m not mistaken, didn’t a Guerrilla developer specifically state the one of the SPUs will assist with AA?

2. Statix

Newcomer

Look, maybe I was using ad hominems, but in my own defense, I also didn't particularly like the guy's tone as he was dogging me and deliberately trying to make a mockery of and discredit me, either; using such phrases as "You know what's hilarious [about you]," or hyperbole like how my "credibility's out the window."

Very mature, and not a hint of malice at all. :roll:

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

and you still haven't answered the question.

You came here with screenshots claiming quincunx was arguably as good as 4xAA, which from your own shots seemed pretty doubtful. Mintmaster said the shot wasn't even actually quincunx, and your reply seems to be to complain that he did so with attitude. Perhaps you could take the high ground and provide evidence why he is incorrect, or is he right?

4. mech

Regular

Wipeout HD is one I'm looking forward to :)

5. Statix

Newcomer

First of all, my point wasn't that Quincunx is arguably as good as 4xAA. It's that it's a worthwhile implementation over traditional 2xAA. 4xAA obviously offers better quality, but the point is that Quincunx holds its own in terms of removing the most apparent of stairstepping on edges, with no more performance hit than 2xAA, and that the hullabaloo made about the supposed "Quincunx blurriness" is overstated. That's all.

Secondly, I don't know enough about the topic of anti-aliasing to argue whether or not the screenshots I posted are Quincunx. I haven't personally devoted much time to researching the topic very much; all I know is that enough authoritative-sounding people seem to state that these ARE indeed legitimate Quincunx screens, and that I could tell the difference between the supposed 2xQ shots and the 2xAA counterparts. Thus, I deduced with enough confidence that these are probably Quincunx shots I'm looking at.

6. friendo

Newcomer

Could Quaz51 please check the resolution GTA4 PS3 again after patch

I feel like I'm going crazy but after the latest patch for GTA4 PS3, it feels like the framerate is lower but everything looks a bit sharper.

7. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

Think it was only to fix the freezing in the game.

8. friendo

Newcomer

Please remove my post or ignore them, after restarting my PS3, everything seems back to normal :roll:

9. bagofsuck

Newcomer

Why the pixelation in some of those killzone 2 screenshots.. can someone explain me?

10. lbartley

Newcomer

I hate to be a pain in the ass about this, but I just fired up the demo again. I simply can't understand how people are claiming that it looks messy.

Haze, to me, has some of the most clean lines I've seen in recent history. the edges of the HUD/helmet looks a bit messy. Perhaps there's some kind of magic going on that I'm not aware of, and if that's the case, I'm sorry.

Comparing Haze, and The Darkness just won't let me accept that I'm seeing a 576p resolution on Haze...

11. jonabbey

Regular

I definitely believe it. The HUD is reasonably sharp, but the view through the HUD into the world just looks really low-res/blurry to me.

Quite disappointing that PS3 games are coming out with this sort of poor visual quality. I had had rather high hopes for Haze, but it almost feels like playing an XBox game as much as it does anything in HD.

12. Quaz51

Regular

yes this images isn't quincunx of course, i only talked Killzone screenshots (your and statix), sorry

yes i understand what you say, Quincunx is certainly doing before the lighting pass because deffered shading, it's will be stupid to do shading on all two millions MSAA samples (lot of sample are the same, it would be waste) but it's quincunx filter regardless. when you use two rotated MSAA buffer and merge one sample of the first buffer with four sample of the second buffer, how you name this? maybe you prefer "raw quincunx" :) ?
    it's totally different to a 2xMSAA with classic post-process blur filter.it's a quincunx before lighting pass, the result it's little different than classic quincunx in classic forward rendering but it's quincunx for me :)

13. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Could be jpg compression, but to which screenshots are you referring (and in what part of them) ?

14. Mintmaster

Veteran

Nope, I'm not saying that, as doing Quincunx before lighting would cause problems. In fact KZ2 is doing the lighting pass on every sample, according to their presentations. The shadowing workload isn't doubled, though, because they're splitting the fetches (up to 12) between the samples. Maybe GG found that it was too expensive to figure out which pixels could get away with only one lighting calculation.

I'm not denying that standard, fullscreen Quincunx will be used in the game. I'm just saying that's not captured in these screenshots, just like all other attempts at Quincunx screenshots on the PC.

It's Quincunx when applied to the whole screen. It's a smart blur when selectively used, like ATI's edge-detect AA (although I don't know if that is working).

15. catisfit

Regular

This is becoming more of a semantics discussion than a technical one :wink:

16. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

But it dont look like Quincunx, you have a PC with Nvidia card? I have one and the difference is large in sharpness/bluriness between Quincunx and default AA. GTA4 PS3 vs xbox360 image sharpness would show roughly how the Quincunx difference is.

17. bagofsuck

Newcomer

18. warb

Veteran

19. JaylumX

Newcomer

Is that a good or bad thing?

20. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Worse, explain why the effects looks blurry to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.