Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by TheAlSpark, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Thanks. :yes:

2. Juan Panson

Newcomer

What would cause haze to run at sub hd?

Theres nothing particularly impressive about it. It looks decent enough, its just not on uncharted's level for example.

3. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

The silos are also not screwed up, the antenna's on them are intact, the grass below the crate doesn't have noticeable steps, well in fact most of the grass... there's more. It's pretty clear to me that the quincunx is nowhere near as good as the 4x, perhaps a comparison to 2x would be more useful.

4. GAZOman

Newcomer

strange thing is that the helmet boarder has no AA and does look like 576p - but the game is very clean behind that helmet :?:

5. deepbrown

Veteran

OK...I'm confused

#845 deepbrown, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  6. lbartley

Newcomer

OK, I'm a super-nub, but I can't imagine how Haze is running the same resolution as The Darkness, and a lower resolution than GTA IV, with no AA, and has nearly zero jaggies.

The Darkness and GTA are pretty terrible for jaggies, but unless I'm totally blind, there's no possible way Haze is 576p...

7. Gitaroo

Veteran

gta for ps3 isnt that bad on my tv set, especially some cut scene has like zero jaggies which was a shock for my when its confirm to be a sub 720p game with no AA. Seems too good to be true. Haze runs at a lower res than cod4, but its funny that I think it looks cleaner and less jaggy than COD4; could be the HDR and the bloom.

8. Quaz51

Regular

it's absurd to judge aliasing without take into consideration level of detail, precision, sharpness of the image
    it's not very difficult to make lowres game, no AA but with smooth image
    the difficulty is to make lowres game, no AA AND high level of detail but without nasty aliasing/artifact

#848 Quaz51, May 7, 2008
  9. GAZOman

Newcomer

GTA4 PS3 cutscenes do look like 720p - ingame it's 640p.

but I have my doubts too about haze 576p. imo its like GTA4 that does render the HUD in another resolution than the game itself. just compare resistance with haze - I can't imagine that this should be 576p in haze (the helmet around the boarder is indeed very low res but not the game itself. quaz, how did you count does lines or where? its not blurry either so how would they do that very clean image without AA?

10. GAZOman

Newcomer

not to mention the fact that any PAL PS2 games run in 576i - they don't have AA so how on earth would haze be possible in 576p no AA without massive aliasing? :shock:

11. Quaz51

Regular

no, cut-scenes are 640p

no, Haze is 576p, not just the HUD

#851 Quaz51, May 7, 2008
  12. Quaz51

Regular

lot of PS2 game are 512x448 enterlaced or 512x512 enterlaced for pal (576i or 480i not exist on PS2), 512 and 1024 is not the same thing and aliasing perception isn't just a resolution or AA problem

13. Kinan

Newcomer

14. GAZOman

Newcomer

quaz why? how? tell me and I will check as I did with GTA4. I do understand that you can count lines easily on a screenshot - but from the TV? how do you do that? You agree that the helmet-boarder is very aliased compared to the rest of the game?

I have both GTA4 versions and I do agree with the 640p ingame but the cutscenes are totally equal (only 2xAA absent on PS3) and you can see the difference as soon as you are on the streets again - lack of sharpness ingame, cutscene equal to 360. I have them both - side by side :???:

15. thambos

Newcomer

1080p versions of GTA4

I have a quick question before I decide which version to get.

I've read both versions can be output at 1080p.

Firstly, does running at 1080p on the PS3 version decrease the FPS beyond its 720p rate? (i assume the Cell is doing the scaling)

And which version is better scaled to 1080p? I remember reading the 360's HANA uses a modified version of the Lanczos filter. What is the PS3 using?

16. sevanig

Regular

Probably an illusion, cause the cut scenes are up close and personal, its harder to tell...

17. GAZOman

Newcomer

but why sould quaz be able to tell and someone else isn't ;)

18. Quaz51

Regular

sorry finally i think Haze is 1920x1081 (little better than 1080p) with PiAA (a special AA method little better than 3xAA) ;)

19. Pugger

Regular

You know thats going be quoted on GAF as real!

20. GAZOman

Newcomer

thats the problem - quaz should really think twice what he says and what not :grin:

and he should tell us his special eye trick to read 576lines from a TV :roll:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.