Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by TheAlSpark, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Uhh just ignore it, I mean look at the childish playouts/insults aswell as the sad desperation to downplay those with far more knowledge than themselfs... uhh. Btw there was someone else in this thread confirming 640p some pages ago.

This is the Gamesradar line, http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/g...3/a-2008042812150303074/g-2006051014323586065

2. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Specious Misanthrope
    Legend

There's nothing said on gamesradar that claims that the ps3 version is 720p. They said they captured the video as raw 720p and said it takes a trained eye to tell the differences. Some dimwit on a forum (named imaballa I guess) claimed that meant that the ps3 version was running at 720p.

3. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

If it appears your post regarding GTA4 is missing, please refer to the GTA 4 Tech thread or Dithering thread.

4. Remij

Newcomer

Regarding Metal Gear Solid 4... just look at the difference in image quality in these 2 pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

can this finally confirm that MGS4 is indeed 720p because we know that those other ign pics are just stretched images of lower resolution shots?

5. deepbrown

Veteran

Quaz said of one of these new ones: "it's a very strange native resolution for an oversampled bullshot, it's 5120x768 native resolution (rescaled in 2048x1152). oversampled x5 on horizontal but no oversampling on vertical (if MGS4 is 1024x768)"

6. DJ12

Veteran

Surely one way to confirm a difference would be to overlay a 360 screenshot on a PS3 one the PS3 one should have a fatter face or show less objects in the background.

Probably hard to do, but it would prove it once and for all surely.

7. deepbrown

Veteran

fatter faces?

8. DJ12

Veteran

Yes although fatter is probably the wrong term larger is more fitting. Assuming they haven't changed the models between the two versions, the PS3 version should have the appearance of larger faces as the overall resolution is lower.

At the native resolution they will be the same size, but if it's true the PS3 version is upscaled to 720p then everything would appear slightly larger wouldn't it?

9. deepbrown

Veteran

I don't think it works like that...I think they render everything "thinner" so that when it's "stretched out" it appears to be normal/the same. They may not do that in this case since the resolution difference isn't huge..

10. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yep, as deepbrown says, everything is rendered in correct proportion independent of rendering resolution. Otherwise it'd look plain silly with 2x horizontal resolutions! Just think of anamorphic widescreen DVDs, where the resolution of the image is in '4:3' (not really 4:3) 720x576 or whatever, but everything's squeezed to make it long and thin in a 4:3 display. When that image is stretched to a 16:9 display, everything has the correct proportions.

11. Quaz51

Regular

yes the first is another bullshot in 5120x768
    all the new MGS4 bullshots are native 768 line, curious...

12. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

PHotos mode in a Halo III manner?

13. Quaz51

Regular

or like lot of publisher screenshots for press kit and other media
    oversampling screenshot is very frequent (but oversampling just in one direction is singular )

14. DJ12

Veteran

Yes, but this isn't something daft like a 2x horizontal scale it's scaled pretty much evenly on the horizontal and vertical (almost x1.1 on both axis).

I suppose I should've mentioned I was still on about GTA4 though.

15. deepbrown

Veteran

I don't think they'd want their game to have "fat faces" - when it's so simple to render it slightly "thinner" in the first place..

16. Dot50Cal

Regular

Isn't that the same 768 resolution that the MGO Beta has? It would make sense that the game would run in the same resolution, since they both appear to use the same engine.

Edit:
    I read through that entire Gametrailers forum thread. I wanted to smack the OP in the head so many times, I mean my god.

#796 Dot50Cal, May 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  17. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

The gametrailers thread is a pure gem.

18. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

I don't know if this is the best place to post this question bue here it goes..

Whats up with the AF on the xbox 360 why dont they use good levels of AF in all games ?

I have an old computer that can run little more than Doom 3 in ultra high and I have the default setting in my graphics card options set to 16x AF it really doesn't seem to effect performance at all now xbox 360 is so much more powerful than my PC why don't they use better AF?

19. Mintmaster

Veteran

Good question, but unfortunately there aren't any good answers. I think some devs just don't pay attention to it. There are few multiplatform games where PS3 has it enabled but 360 doesn't (I think Oblivion is one), and I think we concluded in the Burnout thread that the 360 version has higher or better AF (though the PS3 version is said to run smoother). GTA IV looks like it has equal levels.

The big culprits on 360 seem to be the exclusives. Maybe Sony made AF part of the TRC and MS didn't. Who knows.

20. Rockster

Regular

Texture cache. RSX has twice the texture cache per sampling/filtering unit as compared to Xenos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.