Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by TheAlSpark, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkon

Regular

*Pink Bunnies* utter *pink bunnies*, resistance and ratchets IQ is superb , very, very few games this gen had this kind of IQ so far.

Uncharteds IQ is also good.

2. deepbrown

Veteran

AA on the PS3 has been very impressive. You're mistaken. Espcially Resistance which had better AA than the other games on the market at that time....and the majority of games now.

Uncharted, jaggies? Now you're joshing. It does a lot better than most games.

3. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Didn't DaJuice say it was better than most games? Yes, yes he did. I'm sorry, but he's hard to hold a discussion with you guys when you're so defensive about something you attack someone for absolutely no reason. He wants more AA, and who doesn't... Ugh, have to add two other people to my list to never ever trust in a discussion...

4. deepbrown

Veteran

Hello did you read what this guy who's posted 4 times actually said:

"because the amount of anti-aliasing on Resistance was inadequate. I know... it's still better than nothing considering the majority of titles on the PS3 have zero AA"

Resistance had inadequate AA. Most PS3 games have 0xAA. That's being mature and accurate in a discussion is it?

5. Skrying

Skrying S K R Y I N G
    Veteran

Did you read it? He thought the AA in Resistance was inadequate, which is a opinion if you didn't know. He then stated that he does acknowledge that Resistance had AA and that it is better than most games which don't. Most console games don't have AA, it's a pretty common issue actually. Also, some people find any aliasing to be highly annoying. I don't see a issue in that anywhere. You jumped on his case because apparently his OPINION is different than your's.

6. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

C'mon this isn't NeoGAF, here one is allowed to express ones opinion and thoughts! :wink:

7. DaJuice

Newcomer

I guess I should have qualified the IQ thing. I'm not talking about the visuals in a broad sense, but specifically things like resolution, number or samples, shadow map res, etc... things we take for granted in CG, but that aren't quite up to snuff in games yet.

Urgh.. how do you argue with that? Uncharted = zero AA, none whatsoever. I posted about this in another thread, screenshot and everything. Resistance = 2xAA multi-sampling, I don't think there is a lower anti-aliasing mode than that. In my opinion it was inadequate, but then I'm pickier then most. AA on the PS3 has not been impressive so far. Could someone point out a game running at 720p and boasting a 4xAA mode? Folklore maybe... I don't remember.

8. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Pink bunnies? :lol:

Neverthless if talking about sharp edges in console games then perhaps. Although didn't Quaz51 say something about 2xQuicunxAA for Resistance? If so that should leave visible jaggies at 720p unless the TV is displaying a blurry image.

9. Cheezdoodles

Veteran

All he said is that he wanted more AA than the first resistance had, althought he did give resistance credit for having some antialiasing (2x AA, the lowest level of AA)

Your attacking him like he just insulted your *Pink Bunny*, all he said is that he wants 4xAA.

Does Uncharted even have AA?

10. Gitaroo

Veteran

#70 Gitaroo, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  11. betan

Veteran

He didn't.
    But QAA would be a fine choice since it isn't exactly a texture showcase.
    This is Beyond 3d you say?
    Resistance's jaggies are certainly visible under microscope, thanks to monochromatic palette and possibly post processing. Unless of course your TV doesn't support 720p.
    Isn't it obvious looking at the posters? ;)

12. Darkon

Regular

Yep, Resistance uses 2xQuicunxAA and so does Ratchet from the looks of it, both games are a lot cleaner then HS.

You have a ps3, why don't you try the games yourself and see or we can wait for Dot50Cal, I’m sure he will provide use with some quality screen grabs.

13. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I'll check it when I pick up the console from my cousines. But ss shows very clean image for Resistance and RC. betans post points some things helping out but I assume that when having darker object against bright background the jaggies will creep ahead.
    But I know that Quincunx is very effective with hiding jaggies but not completly and it blurs the image quite a bit, especially at lower resolutions. :smile:

14. deepbrown

Veteran

Uncharted has 2xAA. I've found the jaggies in Uncharted to be almost forgettable.

15. deepbrown

Veteran

He stated that PS3 games are generally 0xAA - then citing Uncharted as one of them. Having a bone to pick with that should not be out of the ordinary.

16. Gitaroo

Veteran

I think Full Auto 2 is 1080p and 4X MSAA, I remember the game was super clean.

17. DaJuice

Newcomer

I looked at the link Gitaroo posted and I was wrong on Uncharted, apologies. I do see a little bit of AA in that pic, at the edge of the crate and around Nate's necklace strap thingy. Time to eat crow, yummay. I don't understand why the anti-aliasing shows up so sparsely... the pic I linked is a direct capture, and I don't see any edges being blended where you would expect them to be.

18. Quaz51

Regular

#78 Quaz51, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2008
  19. Quaz51

Regular

20. Quaz51

Regular

GT5 prologue :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.