Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by AlBran, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

I'm not that clever but I feel that the choice of resolution has more to due with frame buffer memory print than lack of computational power, clearly I feel like FP 16 is unlikely.

2. Dot50Cal

Regular

3. JaylumX

Newcomer

I find it ironic that an effect that a lot of forum members on numerous boards complained about - excessive bluring caused by blooming and hdr/post-processing - seems to be the more prefered effect today. Anyone who has played Dirt may know what i mean.

EDIT: Another quick question. I don't fully understand the importance of FP16 with alpha blending. Does that relate to calculating HDR within transparant surfaces? Why is the alphablending componet so important and also processor hungry.

4. Pugger

Regular

I have played the 360 version for around 4 hours and got to play the PS3 version for around an hour or two last night. There no doubt to me that the PS3 version is blurry compared to the 360 version. I don't care if its blooming or post processing effects the result is difficult on the eyes. The IQ is just plain poor and it makes it really tiring to play. The 360 version is better it terms of blurring but is by no means good in terms of IQ. Playing the game remainds me of working on a monitor that is slightly out of focus, its jaring. Further although they are different in terms of how they portray an open world none the less Crackdown is similar in scale and is miles beyond GTA4 in terms of IQ.

5. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

From what I can tell (quick passover), that's essentially NAO32 HDR. (logluv HDR). They lose hardware alpha blending, and they have a couple slides on how they implemented AB. The upshot is that they can enable MSAA through a custom resolve.

Evidently, Rockstar didn't go down that route. The process does involve some pixel shader cost though, and considering the reduction in resolution, it may be that they were already too pixel shader bound.

There are other things to consider of course.. it could be an entirely different reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_compositing

6. ex0du5

Newcomer

Man...although the game is lots of fun, I'm really disappointed at the lack of AA in the PS3 version. The jaggies are quite distracting. Though, not moreso than the texture shimmering going on in the background.

I guess I'll have to wait for the PC version to be fully content.

7. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

[strike]Uno momento. Thread split in-progress.[/strike]

8. Mefisutoferesu

Regular

Off topic, I know, but why is it that so many 360->PS3 games seem PS bound? I was under the impression PS3 had a fairly reasonable advantage in this area. I vaguely recall something about PS length/width differences on the platforms... is it related?

9. XeRo

Newcomer

http://i27.tinypic.com/4vlg8j.jpg

Hi Quaz, do you know what resolution this is running at? If screenshot doesn't work there is a demo on JPN PSN. The game is called Battle Fantasia. Thanks

10. btdvox

Newcomer

Im still interested to hear from devs how they are doing HDR + AA- I understand the NAO32 that was used in Heavenly sword first i beleive but I wouldnt think devs would use the same method to create this effect on the PS3.

*Snip : derailing comment*

11. novcze

Regular

So how rendering works in GTA4 and what is best for GTA4 on full hd tv?

1. 640p render target -> upscale to 720p and HUD rendering -> upscale to 1080p in TV

2. 640p render target -> upscale to 1080p (and HUD rendering?) -> TV

3. 640p render target -> upscale to 720p and HUD rendering -> upscale to 1080p in PS3 -> TV

One of them is of course wrong.

12. Quaz51

Regular

the demo is 1280x720

13. makaveli87

Newcomer

here you go

360:
    1280*720
    2xAA
    2XAF
    FP10

PS3:
    1152*640
    0xAA
    8xAF
    FP16

good day.

14. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

Evidence or source please?

15. Asher

Regular

What would be the point in using AF on the PS3 version if they're using a blur filter anyway?

16. crabbz

Newcomer

Sorry for the silly question, but what is FP in FP10/FP16? Some googling indicates it is related to HDR but I can't find much else.

17. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

I was just thinking about that, barely any improvement vs perfomance impact. And neither one seems to have any AF judging by the screenshots (goes to check again).

18. 22psi

Veteran

where did you get this?

19. Dominik D

Regular

Floating point lighting calculation precission (more or less). As far as I understand image quality impact this translates to contrast ratios and how "vivid" dynamic range image is. I haven't seen any side-by-side comparisons of the same scene with HDR in both formats and I am to lazy to write one myself, so I trust ppl saying, that there is a noticeable difference.

20. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

At some point a mod gently explained me the whole fp10/16 stuff.
    If I remember properly, the memory foot print for the framebuffer was the same (ie fp10 just save computational power or it's the other way around).
    Given the scale of the game and memory constraint I'm sure that none of the version use fp10/16.

Mintmaster or joker454 (others devs of insightful members opinion are evidently welcome it's just that they are active on this topic) what is your opinion about that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.