Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by TheAlSpark, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quaz51

Regular

if you want all 720p game in the list i can make a list with 300 games that i checked :D but it's not pertinent, consider that all games that aren't in the list are 720p

2. Lairliar

Newcomer

http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8319/1077_0014.jpg
    http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/8319/1077_0009.jpg
    http://www.gamersyde.com/gallery_8319_en.html

Dose this help?

Oh,and if you are looking for better screenshot,why not check back this side later.
    So there won't be any missing detail or transition problem.
    http://ruliwebimg.empas.com/data/news8/10m/20/ps3/ruliweb_gt5_11.jpg
    http://ruliwebimg.empas.com/data/news8/10m/20/ps3/ruliweb_gt5_12.jpg

Mod Note: Just a heads up that we don't allow hotlinking media from other sites unless they are hosted on free sites such as image-shack or photobucket. The media sites rely on advertising hits to a degree, and it would be unfair to use up their bandwidth as well.

-AlS

3. Scott_Arm

Legend

Wow ... I can't say I've ever heard of someone that enjoys counting pixels as much as you do.

4. Dopefish

Newcomer

Since you brought that PS3 image up, I decided to try and take as close a shot as possible with the 360 version.

Compare these two again:
    PS3
    Xbox 360

5. Hazuki Ryu

Regular

6. warb

Veteran

What about just the 720p games featuring AA?

7. GAZOman

Newcomer

this is it! it proves that the 360 has 2xAA, the PS3 none and that the 360 renders in native 720p instead of the 640p from the PS3. (yes, I counted myself)

I was wrong - but the 360 image looks sterile and explains the quote from sam houser about PS3 version looks softer, warmer.

well I would prefer a better framerate and the IQ of the PS3 instead of the choppiness that I have now on my elite.

8. Quaz51

Regular

it's not counting, just aproach my head to my TV (very close) and with experience in two second i see if it's 720p or not and it's 720p in 90% case or more
    and i'm a gamer which download all the demo on Us,Euro,Jap PSN and US, Euro, Jap XBL , couting or not couting i DL all demo ( i check also all comparison screenshots of Richard leedbetter on eurogamer face off and some other screenshot for some case)
    and when couting for no 720p game it's just one minute, sometime more in rarely difficult case

9. Dopefish

Newcomer

I made somewhat of a small list for 360 games.

http://imk.cx/screenshots/xbox360/43vs169/

For any image that doesn't have a 4-3 or 16-9 at the end, that game renders in 1280x720 and downscales it to 640x480 (which is why the actual image pulled out of the framebuffer is still 1280x720).

Read the text file at the top for possibly more information.

None of the games I tested render in the framebuffer at 1920x1080. All games upscale to that. Some arcade games (which aren't pictured), though, run in a true 1080p.

10. Juan Panson

Newcomer

Saw this posted at another forum.

Seems PS3 has more aliasing in the distance?

[​IMG]

11. tongue_of_colicab

Veteran

Might as well be the angle, the bridge seems to be under a turned angle so the ropes get more in sight rather than more behind each other so it might seem more aliased.

Anyway, I havnt read much of this thread but does all the gta comparisons really matter? the idea that I get is that you will hardly notice any difference if any at all when in motion anyway.

12. Quaz51

Regular

Good, it's direct framebuffer grab, it's confirm all my numbers (Oblivion 1024x600, PG3 1024x600 and most of all COD3 in 1040x624, this case was difficult for me, just some bad screenshot and not conformist sub720p resolution. EDIT: i see in the Alstrong list old COD3 number before my final correction, my personal list is more accuracy ;) )

but framebuffer grab isn't the panacea. some game make rescale in software during post-process (in your list VF5 and COD4 apparently) and in this case final framebuffer is in output resolution not native resolution, counting is necessary :)
    interesting...

#672 Quaz51, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  13. Juan Panson

Newcomer

Yeah i just watched the gamevideos comparison and you cant even tell the difference aside from that bridge shot. They look pretty much identical.

14. Dopefish

Newcomer

Yeah. These shots won't show any kind of scaling they do before it hits the frame buffer. Those shots you'll just have to inspect yourself. Call of Duty 4 is 1280x720 in the framebuffer, but you can see signs of upscaling. Two games out of the entire list I've made do upscaling beforehand; It's a very small fraction. The average game runs in a true 720p.

15. Tap In

Legend

yes which is exactly the same plan that Halo 3 used and with the excellent effects (ie lighting) that they gained from it was the right decision IMO.

16. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, there was some ambiguity in that number I remember. I forgot to ask about it. :p Anything else inconsistent?

17. Heinrich4

Regular

Good point here!

And no one talk or critized Gears of Wars without AA at this time,cause Epic could use some good effect to hide jaguies and same could set here in GTA4 ps3 with your post processing filters and others technics.

(im remember DoomIII at launch in 2004 with many machines cannot run AA and could show good graphics with less jaggies)

#677 Heinrich4, Apr 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2008
  18. Heinrich4

Regular

But COD 4 is does 1024x600 60 fps 2XFSAA in both versions?

19. Quaz51

Regular

yes

20. Heinrich4

Regular

Thanx

(we allways say thanx to Quaz51 to find information about resolutions like Halo 3,COD4 etc and now GTA4)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.