Neverending Upscaling/Resolutions/AA etc Thread #2 *Rules: post: #616 *

Discussion in 'Consoles' started by AlBran, Jan 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

It's not really your bad. Just a pitfall of written communications where the lack of intonation loses much of the intention from the words, and for whatever reason human nature tends in such cases to read words in the harshest way. Learning to speak softly on the internet is part of being a useful community member, as is learning to read without mis/pre-conceptions.

This is OT but as I can't PM you, I'll say it here publicly as a reminder for everyone, and clean up later.

NOTE : Moved a couple of posts on which version to get into the console game thread : http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=47802

2. ex0du5

Newcomer

What's up with this shot? (from a GAF poster's PS3 version)

[​IMG]

Looks like there's no anti-aliasing being applied at all in some spots. The heck?

3. ex0du5

Newcomer

Crap...need an edit button (am I missing it?). There's definitely 2x AA that I can spot (top of the car's window is the most visible spot to me). Still...doesn't look too good. Maybe it's just a bad choice for a shot. Kind of scared as we haven't really seen any direct feed PS3 stuff yet.

4. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

You'll get editing privileges over time and as you post. :)

As for the AA, 2xMSAA is only does so much with the two sample points, and only then certain geometry angles will receive AA dependent upon the sample positions.

5. D3B

D3B
    Banned

IGN said PS3 is noticeably smoother in jaggies side by side in its head to head.

6. keptcopsup

Newcomer

Well maybe there's some blurring filter over the whole image, as some of the shots seem to suggest.

'Smoother' isn't always better, if that's the case.

7. Chisholm

Newcomer

Sorry for that. I clearly overreacted. Back to my reading comprehension lessons, I guess... :-|

Cheers - Chisholm

8. deepbrown

Veteran

Yes and Quaz doesnt have a good PS3 screenshot yet.

9. ex0du5

Newcomer

So what's up with the dithering exactly? I mean, we're not 100% sure if it's evident in the PS3 version or not, but we are sure it is in the 360 version. Is this an art-style choice perhaps, or is it more likely a side effect to their rendering/post-processing methods?

10. Neb

Neb Iron "BEAST" Man
    Legend

Most if not all HDTV's with a sharpen slider lets you set it to a negative value, blurring the image. I actually did this with a SD TV of HQ for some xbox games to hide the jaggies ( lol )!

11. ex0du5

Newcomer

The problem is when the TV's have a value, let's say 0 to 30, and the correct value is 15 (whereas 0 would blur the image). It's annoying to have to use a test pattern to determine the correct neutral value.

12. -tkf-

Legend

Its worth considering that this generation of Consoles are so close to each other on graphics that the actual reviews have to take great care on the calibration of their tv sets and the settings on the consoles themselves..

Not to mention viewing these 2 games on a small screen at a certain distance will reveal little. Viewing it on a 110 inch screen from 3 meters will be a completely different story.. which i intend to tell from the PS3 perspective :)

Welcome to the (sub) HD era :)

13. D3B

D3B
    Banned

Whatever the effect it definitely sounded like it was a plus.

14. ex0du5

Newcomer

That's why I always *facepalm* when I hear "The 360 version seems to have richer and more vibrant colors" for every single game out there.

15. Gholbine

Regular

Since when is 630p an allowable resolution on the PS3? As far as I was aware, it's very strict with the native resolutions they allow.

And how is it upscaling? It can't be line doubling, because it's got to scale the horizontal resolution too. What, suddenly the machine can upscale in hardware? Is it a software solution?

Which media are we using to make this assessment?

16. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

Plenty of games use irregular resolutions on the PS3, from Jericho to Call of Duty 4... GTA4 is not the first and probably not the last either.

17. Dominik D

Regular

@Gholbine: Could you please move back to page 21? Most of your answers ("native resolution" one aside) are there. Technique used and some info about Quaz's technique can be extracted from his posts (this was pointed out on previous page too).

18. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

There are no, and have never been any, restrictions on framebuffer size AFAIK. I've certainly never, ever seen any document that specifies a minimum limit for framebuffer, not for any platform. In any generation!

19. Extra411

Newcomer

Sorry, I tried the search function but couldn't find what I was looking for. In this thread http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241 it is said that VF5 for 360 is 4xAA? I seem to recall reading it was 2xAA a long time ago in the first version of this thread. Could someone confirm it for me please? Thanks :)

20. Statix

Newcomer

They probably use a software upscaling solution, just like for COD4 (COD4 is 1024x600).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.