network cable unplugged problem

rotten

Newcomer
we have a network of 3 pcs running win2kpro
one of them is connected to the internet via a cable modem
and the other 2 pcs are connected to the first one via a hub...
we all had our networks adapters set to autoconfig/autosense
and the network was at 10mbps... we tried to change that since we noticed that all 3 network adapters supported 100mbps... when we changed it the network adapter got disconnected (network cable unplugged)... so we decided to revert to the original configuration, but
the network card refused to comply (still network cable unplugged)...
so the network does not work... anyone can be of any help?

Yeah, your hub is probably not Fast Ethernet. You can always try 100/half, 100/full just for giggles.

The PC that is connected to the cable modem has 2 nics, right?

dunno if the hub supports fast ethernet... anyhow that is not the
problem now... the problem is that the nic's refuse to work at any setting...
the modem is connected via a usb port to one of the computers
and the hub is connected via nic to the same computer...
for the record the nic's are being detected normally by windows
-unistalled and installed them several times even on safe mode-
but the network properties continue to say the network cable is unplugged
when it clearly isnt... :oops:
god damn its so frustrating that its almost funny... :LOL:
thanx in advance for any help....

If the hub supports fast ethernet, it would usually have lights showing 10/100 speeds, which is sometimes 2 different lights, or the same light, but a different color (depending on the speed).

Also usually hub/switches have a separate light for LINK for each port that light up when it sees something hooked up (and powered). Silly question, but the hub is plugged into the electrical outlet, right?

Hmmm, the cable modem hooked up via a nic would be better, but thats a story for a different time.

I used to have a similar problem years ago with a network hub. If you unplugged the cables whilst it was on, it sort of got confused. I needed to "reboot" the hub in order to get the network back online. IIRC I had to power down each machine then power down the hub for a few seconds, repower the hub then switch on all the PCs again. right PITA but I don't tend to unplug cables often anyway.

Back