Neon Genesis Evangelion

BlueTsunami

I laugh at you! HA HA HA!
Veteran
Ok, so i'm currently watching another anime but i've been wondering aboutNeon Genesis Evangelion. I've heard people talk about it and how good it is...I've been meeting to get it to see what its about but always opted out. I'm wondering what some of the anime lovers here think of this series. Is it any good?

Oh speaking of which it started airing on adult swim. The second episode will be show tomorrow morning at 1 I think or the same time on saturday. I've only ever seen the first few episodes so I couldn't tell you either way.

It's the best anime ever.

/thread

Seriously, you need to watch it. And make sure you watch the move, End of Evangelion, after the series to get a far better ending to the whole thing.

BlueTsunami said:
Ok, so i'm currently watching another anime but i've been wondering aboutNeon Genesis Evangelion. I've heard people talk about it and how good it is...I've been meeting to get it to see what its about but always opted out. I'm wondering what some of the anime lovers here think of this series. Is it any good?

Trust me, it's the BEST anime ever. You can trust me, right? it's just amazing.

And if that doesn't convince you, there are usual anime teenage girls nakedness scenes. Not many mind you.

Oh remember to also watch the final movie, cause without that nothing will make sense. I think it's called NGE Rebirth... or something like that? Anyway, there is a kind of feature length "movie" after the 26 episodes finish, and you have to watch that.

IMO: (Like I need to say it's my opinion...)

Like most japanese series it's about teenager crisis, although the giants robots and mythology/religion in the background is nice, at the end of the series things seriously go wrong.
Both ending suck and the movie isn't too good either. (technically well done and all, but not what you might expect)

london-boy said:
Oh remember to also watch the final movie, cause without that nothing will make sense. I think it's called NGE Rebirth... or something like that? Anyway, there is a kind of feature length "movie" after the 26 episodes finish, and you have to watch that.

Death and Rebirth is basically a recap of the series. End of Evangelion is the proper movie finale (Which is a total mindfuck, and as Ingenu said, not entirely what you might be expecting. Fantastic stuff all the same though).

Ingenu said:
IMO: (Like I need to say it's my opinion...)

Like most japanese series it's about teenager crisis, although the giants robots and mythology/religion in the background is nice, at the end of the series things seriously go wrong.
Both ending suck and the movie isn't too good either. (technically well done and all, but not what you might expect)

You're WRONG! :LOL:

Seriously, i thought the "end of the series" was totally out of place. In fact i think the last 2 episodes were drug-induced (then again the director did have mental issues at that point). The movie really does explain things, and personally i loved it. Maybe not because it was exceptionally "good", more because i was probably so shocked by how mental things went in the last 2 episodes that the "normality" of the movie made me feel so much better. I actually think i fast-forwarded much of those 2 episodes, after i realised that they were all streams of consciousness (which in the story timeline last a couple of seconds i guess, who hasn't seen it will understand when they watch it)

Hanners said:
Death and Rebirth is basically a recap of the series. End of Evangelion is the proper movie finale (Which is a total mindfuck, and as Ingenu said, not entirely what you might be expecting. Fantastic stuff all the same though).

Yes i meant that one. Still made much more sense than those 2 crazy episodes when the kid goes bonkers.

london-boy said:
Seriously, i thought the "end of the series" was totally out of place. In fact i think the last 2 episodes were drug-induced (then again the director did have mental issues at that point).

The final few episodes of the TV series are widely thought to be a rushed job. Gainax were running out of time and money to finish the show, and that's what they cobbled together.

As for the movie, it's supposedly basically a 'fuck you' message from the director, Hideaki Anno, to the fans, in response to criticism and even death threats from said fans of the show. I won't go into it any further, as it'll only spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

Hanners said:
The final few episodes of the TV series are widely thought to be a rushed job. Gainax were running out of time and money to finish the show, and that's what they cobbled together.

As for the movie, it's supposedly basically a 'fuck you' message from the director, Hideaki Anno, to the fans, in response to criticism and even death threats from said fans of the show. I won't go into it any further, as it'll only spoil it for those who haven't seen it.

I liked the movie. :D
But then again, i'd have liked anything that "finished" the series properly. Not that it did finish properly, but at least it finished err... Kinda like Lost, i'll probably like ANYTHING, just as long as the thing ENDS some way or another.... Anyway let's not spoil it.

I think i'll get back to it now, still have it on DVD somewhere...

I did read that by the end of the series the director has some serious mental issues, and got admitted to a mental institution, and that's why the final episodes of the TV show were like that. Can't say i don't see why that couldn't be the case... :devilish:

NGE is very unique and original, the first bunch of episodes are action packed but as the anime unfolds it becomes more and more religiously complex. It is also the first anime that I know of that has a really deep representation of each character and at times, the anime can be very emotional (lol the beginning of EoE).

The best thing I like about this anime is that the sound track totally rocks!

There's supposed to be a live action movie of NGE (by some american company) but I think it's on hold now. Oh yeah I don't quite understand what sparked all the Gainax protestors thing :(

I wasn't too impressed by the series itself, but thought End of Evangelion was pretty sweet. And supposedly the 'newly' released platinum edition of the series looks vastly better than the original dvds (which quite frankly shouldn't come as a suprise since from a technical standpoint the entire series looks like shit by todays standard, imo, and the rediculous design of some of the angels doesn't make it better).

oi said:
I wasn't too impressed by the series itself, but thought End of Evangelion was pretty sweet. And supposedly the 'newly' released platinum edition of the series looks vastly better than the original dvds (which quite frankly shouldn't come as a suprise since from a technical standpoint the entire series looks like shit by todays standard, imo, and the rediculous design of some of the angels doesn't make it better).

I thought the style was amazing. Obviously the mech fights could be better but i loved the style of it. I remember the first time i saw Evangelion fight, i went "urgh..." but then i got used to it and i just really liked the look of it.

Back