need some Input on Building my First gamming Rig

buddyjesus

Newcomer
ok i finally decided to go with the AMD 64 2800+,

http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishHistoryReview.asp?position=HISTORY&submit=VIEW&ID=779494

i wanna know is all that stuff im gonna order is it all the rite pecies(are the COmpabale with each other). and also ill be getting a X800 pro. (is the MObo good for Oc)

next question is cooling, wat stuff is Ideal for keeping my Machine Cooled?

Next is good FAqs on put it all togheter?

is there anything diff i need to do when im install WinXP (since its a AMD 64 bit procc?)

and lastly wats a Good Case company?

I would wait a few weeks as the pro versions of the chipset will come out which allow pci and agp locking for better overclocking. I would also get the oem version of the 3000+ a64 instead of the 2800. But if u don't have the money get the oem version of the 2800 and use the money saved to get a good heatsink for it

something like this for the cpu. this is the 370 socket versino though. http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/34/432.htm?284 so it wont work.But if u can find the new version it will

I would suggest nothing less then the 3000+ as well. As for cooling the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu is among the best.

jvd said:
I would wait a few weeks as the pro versions of the chipset will come out which allow pci and agp locking for better overclocking.

The Athlon 64s are horrible overclockers; 200 MHz is about the best you can hope for on air. He also said he is not interested in overclocking.

ANova said:
I would suggest nothing less then the 3000+ as well. As for cooling the Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu is among the best.

jvd said:
I would wait a few weeks as the pro versions of the chipset will come out which allow pci and agp locking for better overclocking.

The Athlon 64s are horrible overclockers; 200 MHz is about the best you can hope for on air. He also said he is not interested in overclocking.

Well it offers small increases in speed over the current chipset and while he may not be that interested now in overclocking he may become interested in it later on . Its allways nice to have more options wouldn't u agree ?

Since you're obviously building your PC yourself, there's a couple of advises I'd like to give (as these are some of the minor 'problems' I encountered, while building an AMD64 +WinXP + SATA +VIA chipset system). They are not 'problems' as such, more just things that if you don't know might give you a headache while building your PC.

1. Have the SATA drivers for the chipset ready on a diskette before starting to install the WinXP. Download the latest from VIA website (if you're using the VIA SATA, don't know if your mb has another SATA optio, like Promise, in addition). Otherwise the XP installation won't recognise your SATA drive.

Here's a link to the MSI forum, there's a good FAQ for installing the SATA on a VIA SATA VT8237.
http://forum.msi.com.tw/thread.php?threadid=40859&sid=

2. When the XP has installed, install the VIA 4 in 1 chipset drivers first, then update DirectX if necessary, and then the latest video card drivers and the rest.

Back