Need some help here...

suryad

Veteran
So I gave my ext hdd 750 gb ntfs filesystem to a colleague of mine at work. He uses Linux exclusively. But now I conenct it to my machine XP x64 OS and it cant read it. It shows up as a drive but when i double click it it says its corrupted or unreadable. I am sure it can be read in Linux, but does that mean i have to have a copy of linux move all my data to another hard drive and reformat it with ntfs?
I am pretty ticked off!

Any ideas?

Did your colleague write anything to the disk? Because Linux NTFS write support is still pretty much experimental and "use at your own risk". If he mounted it as read-only there shouldn't be a problem.

There are a bunch of file recovery utilities out there, you may want to try any of those before going the Linux route, but chances are you'll have to copy everything to another disk and reformat it.

Wow, I would be really ticked off as well.

The NTFS-3G driver under Linux is actually considered to be very stable, though, and should not cause problems in normal use. I can't imagine what he did to your drive.

You say you're sure it can be read under Linux? In that case I'd just boot up a LiveCD (say, Ubuntu) and copy that data over as soon as possible before things degrade even further.

Well heres the situation. I ran chkdsk, and it said there were some errors and it tried to recover. It recognized it as NTFS so its good news :) It recovered some of my work data. But then it wasnt all cool. So I am using this one recovery data tool that my brother has called EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional.

I remember he had formatted his ext hdd by accident and we were able to recover it all. I am running the tool now with my fingers and toes crossed. I am optimistic. I will find out in 13 min total. Wish me luck guys.

The hdd had work data, some Vmware images, music, anime archived etc. A lot of work went into getting all that set up. I have used flash drives and so on so forth as usb devices in linux before but I never had this issue. It could have to do with the real time kernel he has installed in his linux distro. He had told me that he was copying stuff over when his laptop kind of froze after a massive CPU spike. I think that corrupted the MFT or something though it sounds unlikely.

An upate...so it did something at the beginning and I think now it is in the proces of recoverign all the data I guess...looks like good news because its picking up all my files! YAY! If I am reading the display correctly it will be done in 14 hours lol.

Thanks a lot! It sucks I really hope its going to help me get all my data back. I remember it took 3-4 hours for my brother to recover his data but his was mostly some softwares and word docs and that kind of stuff. Looks like 10.5 more hours! Ugh!

Well that didnt work. That software is crap. I downloaded TestDisk and looks like I have recovered around 140 gb out of 630 gb...so hopefully by this time tomorrow I will have everything back. Kind of a bummer but oh well I ended up spending 170 bucks and got a 1 tb ext hdd.

I used R-Studio data recovery last time I had an issue like this, it was pretty thorough. But there's tons of these tools and I'm sure they have similar results (and in typical Windows utility fashion - all turn out to be payware).

Thats good to know about R-Studio that name sounds familiar. This gave me some time to do research about filesystems and it is amazing how pathetic Windows' version is. ReiserFS and ext3 are just amazing in comparison especially Reiser!

I find the problem with these tools is they dont know the difference between what was deleted accidentally and what was deleted on purpose,
so they recover all your files plus the ones that where deleted on purpose eg: every program file from every program you've ever uninstalled, every tempory internet file that has ever appeared on your hdd, evey temp file created by windows, ect, ect.

Well its a bit tough for it to decide unless it had some AI built into it. This tool however recovers only that which you select. :) God my entire weekend got ruined cause of this. oh well 340 out of 630 recovered.

Getbackdata for NTFS is the only NTFS recovery tool you should realistically need, ever.

Forget all those other apps. The world leader in data recovery (Kroll-Ontrack) uses this software for the majority of their recovery jobs. I should know, I work with them on a weekly basis and use the very same software in-house.

As for how you obtain this software...

I would suggest Hiren's boot CD (google).

G
Forget all those other apps. The world leader in data recovery (Kroll-Ontrack) uses this software for the majority of their recovery jobs. I should know, I work with them on a weekly basis and use the very same software in-house.

My god your a clumsy bugger :D

gigabytes...sorry was not specific.

And thanks never heard of getbackdata. But I will remember that. This little free tool gets the job done too.

Doh! Sorry, I said "Get Back Data" when it's actually "Get Data Back". We (the other techs I've worked with that use the software regularly) always refer to it as simply "Get Back" because the "Data" part is implied and as such is redundant. :p

Back