Need quick answer about PowerVR architecture

Discussion in 'Beginners Zone' started by Sycologist, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Sycologist

So I was watching Digital Foundry's video about volumetric fog and lighting and it was said that F.E.A.R. was the first game that used that technique then I remember back in the day there was a racing game by Kalisto called Ultam@te Race that I remember used volumetric fog and lighting. Am I remember wrong?

2. jlippo

Veteran Regular

Pretty sure ultimate racing used simple distance fog, a very common tech during early 3D games to hide draw distance.

The method in the video is slightly more complex version in which you blend background texture to environment, gives more varied look instead of just single color to fade and easier to fit with background.

3. Sycologist

Ok so were there any games on the PowerVR architecture before F.E.A.R. that made use of Infinite Planes and its volumetric rendering technology like shadow volumes, light volumes, fog volumes? I remember reading about how the Infinite Planes rendering technology allowed "ray tracing" like effects.

4. Davros

Legend